Greyhound racing and firework display

Godzilla

Sunday 29th October 2006. First race at 6.30pm. Firework display after last race - plus sweetie stall and face painting. Tickets available which give Free entry, Free racecard, Free drink (pint lager/beer or glass of house wine). Phone 0114 234 3074 and then press 2 for the Marketing Department to enquire about tickets.

If anyone wants to make this a Forum Meet, please PM me.

Yes, there are serious issues that the industry needs to address. Sheffield Retired Greyhound Fund exists to home as many ex-racers as is possible. To this end we raise funds via the track and through collections and shows, and try to inform the public that retired greyhounds adapt really well to family life. OUR ex-racers have a fighting chance.

Whilst the stories about the wholesale disposal of ex-racing greyhounds are distressing, hopefully it will be the wake up call to the industry to cut back on racing and to regulate. It's not the whole answer, but hopefully the industry will begin to take greyhound welfare much more seriously.

On a separate note - I stand in the entrance to the stadium each week and sell a Tip Sheet, the proceeds of which go directly to the Retired Greyhound Fund. On one particular occasion, shorlty after the newspaper expose, a scantily clad young woman came through the turnstiles. I said "I wonder if you would support our retired greyhound scheme and by a tip sheet?" She said, "after what I've read, no chance". Duh! So why was she at the dog racing in the first place? I respect anyone's decision to boycot, and even demonstrate against, what they perceive to be cruelty, but there is so much misinformation out there.

My stance is that I can possibly do more on the inside than on the outside.

I could make this ... it's not Fright Night though is it? Are we coming in Halloween garb?

No, it's not 'Fright Night', but as hen parties etc arrive in all sorts of fancy dress and costumes, any party that decided to turn up in 'theme dress' wouldn't cause a stir.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived