Those darned socks! Do you remember them?

shoeshine

As well as darned socks, I had a pair of knitted bathing trunks (how much water did they hold when you were paddling in the Humber at Cleethorpes??) and when a hole wore in them my mum darned 'em for me.

It wouldn't have been so bad but the trunks were red and the darning wool was green!!

As well as darned socks, I had a pair of knitted bathing trunks (how much water did they hold when you were paddling in the Humber at Cleethorpes??) and when a hole wore in them my mum darned 'em for me.

It wouldn't have been so bad but the trunks were red and the darning wool was green!!

:hihi: :hihi:

Yes I remember them well, a wooden mushroom was used for darning them .

Trouble was at our house we were so poor,we had to share one wooden mushroom between us.We sat waiting till the other person had finished darning, so we could do ours.I was so slow at darning,that everyone had fallen asleep by then. :hihi:

Trouble was at our house we were so poor,we had to share one wooden mushroom between us.We sat waiting till the other person had finished darning, so we could do ours.I was so slow at darning,that everyone had fallen asleep by then. :hihi:

We were so poor I only had one sock. Used it on alternate feet every other week.

On Mondays, "Wash Day", I went sockless. :(

We used to have a "Sock Basket" where my mum put all the socks after she'd washed 'em. If you wanted a pair for school, especially ones with no holes, then you had to be first up in the morning.

Last up (usually me) meant odd socks and a couple of darns at least.

Now I buy them in packs of five and throw 'em away at the first sign of wear. We've come a long way haven't we?

Bushbaby, I was reading your post out to my wife just now and she tells me that she had a knitted bathing outfit as a young child, and produced a photograph to prove it!

She, too, hated it. :)

I will post a picture on here this evening.

My wife also remembers the time when all bedsheets were made of cotton. When the centre of the sheets started to thin with use, her mum used to cut the sheet in half lengthwise, and sew a seam down the middle so the worn parts were to the outside edges of the bed.

Our older neighbour, in her mid 70's, also remembers this procedure at her home too. :)

Archived