Those darned socks! Do you remember them?

shoeshine

I remember my mother "sides to middle - ing" sheets. My Gran used to darn socks & put patches on jeans - we hated it & after spending months - nay years getting your jeans all soft & shabby with holes in all the right places....she patched 'em!! Only fit for the bin after that!

Many years ago,there was a bloke on Morecambe sea front who would demonstrate,and sell a gadget that was supposed to make darning easy. Must have been worth his while because he had the same pitch for years during the Summer months. How many households have a "gadget" that has'nt been used for years,loads I would think.

Hi Vera. The old flat irons went in sizes. I have two number 5's. I understand that a certain weight of iron was used to press certain materials. I agree that Viking's photograph is good. I bet it looks better l in reality. It shows imagination and a creative flair. Oh dear, I'm rambling on again.

Hi Nigel

Yep! that's it I remember now about the irons just couldn't think for a minute why she heated the two up together. Yes it's given me some ideas for the garden as I do decorate mine up too. At the moment I have a duck section and a dog section. I like the interesting gardens where you can potter around people always find it interesting.

Vera.

Does anyone remember the time when darning socks was an almost everyday task for wives and mothers? :)

These days, with the advent of new materials and woollen mixtures it's a past art.

Do people still wear socks with the big toe peeping out? :hihi:

I remember my dad darning socks,( he was in the Navy in the war years, and probably learned the skill there.) he could do a really good neat job, the only problem was the darned hole was nearly twice as big as the original hole :hihi: he was really proud of his work, and taught me as a kid how to darn, I could never master the art of doing it as neat as him though.:|

Archived