Where are Sheffield's nuclear shelters?

I was a pupil at Lound Junior School about three decades ago, and there was a concrete platform in the middle of the playing field behind the school. We were always led to believe that it was the corked-up entrance to an air raid centre. Don't know if its true

It is true i was at lound around 1968 and we knew about it then.

The one chillycat is referring to is some king of Y.E.B electrical installation.

I've mentioned this before on another thread somewhere, there was a WWII shelter beneath the grass of Meersbrook Park, and there used to be tunnels from the cellars of all the local houses, which are now all bricked up. The grass just below Meersbrook House? now council offices.

In the 70s when I used to go to my Grandma's on brook road I remember the entrance doors in the grass before they were removed. In the area now all the tunnels have subsided and brook road is in a right state with loads of cracks and holes.

Originally posted by fingerfun

Muddycoffee -

You mentioned about the Neepsend Power Station... any info regarding these tunnels or these underground levels? Or do you reckon that all went when they knocked the power station down?

ff.

The site of the old power station has been under development for years. The landscape has changed shape so much around that area that i'd be surprised if anything were still accessible.

I would, however, love to be proved wrong! Spent loads of time messing around there with my mates when I was a youngun - fascinating area for early-teen boys to explore!

Was once hanging around there and decided to jump onto the top of this metal shipping container from an adjoining wall only to be frightened off by an angry skinhead bloke with a large baseball bat and an equally angry dog who emerged from within. Eek! Didnt think anybody would be living in there! :confused:

Originally posted by fingerfun

Muddycoffee -

You mentioned about the Neepsend Power Station... any info regarding these tunnels or these underground levels? Or do you reckon that all went when they knocked the power station down? ff.

I'm sorry I don't know, as I never went myself, was a little bit too far away from my home when I was that age to go all that way and have a look, but when I was a teenager later, and was taking the dog for a walk I used to go that way and don't really remember any tunnels that I saw personally, although we are talking about a massive area, and I could have easily missed them.

There were some shelters up on the moors heading into the peak district. I only this because they were sold on ebay (seriously!) with the land they stood on about a year ago and a friend was bidding on it to build a house there.

The shelter still had a working air purifcation system.

When I was younger we used to hangaround in the area where the old power station at neepsend once stood.

We did once climb into an opening on the wall when we had a close look we noticed the concrete ledge we were standing on was only suspended by some rubble and a bit of chicken wire, the drop below us was very deep and there were loads of huge pipes running down. needless to say we made a rapid exit, I understand that they filled in any remaining tunnels and openings after the incident when two men lost thier lives scrapping the cables

all of neepsend power station has been landscape over now where there used to be a big retaining wall up to railway level you can actually walk up it now as honey planet said after the incident with the two men the electric board or council filled all tunnels in