Did Anybody Go To King Ecgberts?

if so when was you there

Is that what they teach you at King Ecgbert's then?

"if so when was you there"

instead of...

"If so, when were you there?"

No, I didn't go to King Ecgbert's for my education. I have been to King Ecgbert's though. What would you like to tell us about it?

All I know is, the new campus is considerably better than the old one and the school itself, which was under-performing a few years ago, has been consistently rated as "Outstanding" for the past few years now. It's one of the best state schools in the city.

Far better than the shoddy Westfield Comprehensive School that I went to. But, there was more emphasis on English grammar back then, for which I am eternally grateful.

Edited by DerbyTup

• 7 months later...

I left King Ecgbert's Technical School for girls in 1968. Miss Coates was headmistress. Teachers I remember were Mr Jones (French) who I had a major crush on and he gave us all a French name - mine was Odette!

Mr Slack Physics

Miss Brown English

Miss Bowater? domestic science

Students :

Angela Bull

Sandra Chapman

Jaqui Robinson (best friend and made her own clothes by hand)

Anita Loomes (came to Skegness with me and ate cream donuts without getting fat)

Pamela Burtwhistle

Where are you all now?

• 1 month later...
I left King Ecgbert's Technical School for girls in 1968. Miss Coates was headmistress. Teachers I remember were Mr Jones (French) who I had a major crush on and he gave us all a French name - mine was Odette!

Mr Slack Physics

Miss Brown English

Students :

Angela Bull

Sandra Chapman

Anita Loomes (came to Skegness with me and ate cream donuts without getting fat)

Pamela Burtwhistle

Where are you all now?

Hi I was at King Ecgbert Scholl at the same time. I was in the same classes as Angela Bull and Sandra Chapman for most of the time.It seemed that many of our year left to go on to teacher training so school must have seemed good!

I remember Mary Anderson, Anne Swift, Jennifer Staff, Susan Howard, Pamela Còoper, Hilary Barsbe, Margaret Doughty and Susan Hinchcliffe amongst many others.

Did you go on the visit to Stratford upon Avon and Warwick? I remember the first school trip too - we travelled to Newcastle to go to a museum but the museum was closed so the massive group of first years all waited on the railway station for the journey back - I bet the teacher who organised that was popular with her helpers!

• 2 months later...

This thread is 6 years old but you never know - someone might answer. I was at King Ecgbert school till 1968. My reports were not too bad from most teachers but Miss Garrison - PE- once commented "Apathetic and lethargic". Acceptable. :)

I would love to know what happened to others after 1968. So hard to trace . Some names I remember - Susan Howard, Angela Bull, Sandra Chapman, Gillian Winskill, Anne Swift, Hilary Barsbe, Margaret Doughty, Mary Anderson, Jennifer Staff .......

• 1 month later...
Hi Betty Bookend, saw your post about your grandfather ,Mike Short. Iwas at King Ecgbert's 1967-1972. Mr Short was my biology teacher and formteacher, when Iwas in 3S. We girls loved him. Ieven became the locust moniter, so that I could stay in at lunch times in the biology lab ! He let us keep all sorts of pets in the lab, so we all had our own mice, and wealso had xenopus toads. I think he also had a fruit shop on the Ecclesall road, and one day he brought in a praying mantis that had come in with some bananas ! We kept it in the lab for ages and he was called Monty. He was quite strict and especially after the school became comprehensive, and loads of boys suddenly appeared. We girls still stayed in our original classes, and Ithink he quite liked us. I particularly remember him 'eating' a maggot during a biology lesson and going ''mm yummy''. I don't know to this day whether he really did eat it, but it looked very convincing ! I also remember a lesson on reproduction, when Mr Short started the lesson by saying 'Today we shall study reproduction. I shall refer only to the rabbit.''He was a lovely man with a real sense of humour, and he got me through my 'o' level biology. Iam so sad to hear he died young, because I sort of tought of him still being out there somewhere.

did you live on Ironside road ?

Mr Slack Physics

Miss Brown English

Students :

Angela Bull

Sandra Chapman

Pamela Burtwhistle

Where are you all now?

Hi Carol

I was there and I was in the same class as Angela Bull and Sandra Chapman. We must have met before but I am useless with names in general - always have been so hopefully it is not the onset of dementia :)

I do remember Susan Howard, Gillian Ellis, Linda Phoenix, Pamela Cooper, Jennifer Staff, Margaret Doughty, Ann Swift, Hilary Barsbe , Beverley Young, Mary Anderson, Marie Arnold and Susan Hinchsliffe. Do any of those names ring a bell?

Regards

Joy (nee Laxen)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I went there 1969 t0 1971

had a great time had many friends / mates still see some to this day.

would be good to hear from other people that knows me

maybe even meet up for a coffee or two

you can also contact me by sending me a pm

sent you a pm