Did Anybody Go To King Ecgberts?

6 hours ago, death_of_rats40 said:

Just seen this thread about mandy bullock, Thats me! Please get in touch, we're you one of my classmates?

Thats me! Please get in touch, we're you one of my classmates?

Hi Mandy

This isn’t in relation to King Egberts but I was in touch with Janet Goodison up to a couple of years ago and she really wanted to get in touch with you .

Without giving too much away., your mum and mine were good friends when you lived on Marshall Rd and Janet worked for me for a while .

I don’t think you’ve got enough posts to pm me yet .

39 minutes ago, Dreb48 said:

Hi Mandy

This isn’t in relation to King Egberts but I was in touch with Janet Goodison up to a couple of years ago and she really wanted to get in touch with you .

Without giving too much away., your mum and mine were good friends when you lived on Marshall Rd and Janet worked for me for a while .

I don’t think you’ve got enough posts to pm me yet .

Hi. I think I know who you are now too. Could you possibly pm me an email address so we can have a chat?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 02/08/2007 at 17:59, ecol said:

I was in Miss Griffiths class in 1961.Miss coates used to scare everyone to death.Fellow pupil Vicky Rawlins, does anyone remember her?

I do remember you Vicky Rawlins, I was always a bit in awe of you and your friends . I was Margaret Bell, now Savage.  A lot of water gone under the bridge since those days. Used to knock about with Ann Pitts and Susan Barrett. Mrs. Singleton  used to scare me too.

Hope you are well.

On 05/11/2011 at 13:19, coddy said:

I was there 1961-1967, this thread has brought back loads of memories. Maggiebell...this history teacher I think you mean was Miss Crowther, now dont ask me how on earth I remembered that cos half the time I cant remember what I did yesterday...classic sign of alzheimers I think!! Anyway I started off in 1o and finished off in secretarial 6th with Mr Shaw.

Thanks for reminding me of the History teacher, I liked her very much. I was quite a shy girl in those days and blushed a lot!

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 16/08/2020 at 18:38, Founder said:

I did when it first opened in 1957 when Greystones girls joined with Rowlinson girls to form King Ecgberts. Miss Coates the head , Miss Varanasi deputy head

Hello! I'm a new recruit to this site apart from occasionally 'browsing.

So..... following the  Hybrid intake from  Greystones and Rowlinson, I took the 11plus in 1958 and consequently was part of the first pure King Ecgbert intake.

Miss Coates was so proud of  and ambitious for her brand new 'state of the art' purpose built selective school.

Yes ,a fully -fledged grammar school were we not, but the much maligned 'Kitty' was hell -bent on standards......most of which we bolshy adolescents totally hated. 

Brace yourselves for a short history lesson.  Not a Grammar but a Secondary Technical School, part of Sheffield's Educational Tripartite system . King Ecgbert's took it's part in accommodating the 'bulge years' 11plus successes.

Yes I remember the stitched seam berets 😂and the HUGE maroon Knickers😬 and I've not seen any mention of  the cross-over pinafore dresses (try wearing one of those when you're 11 and the pectoral embellishments are taking their time arriving!!)

I have a pretty good memory in general and clearly remember  attending the official opening ceremony performed by Mrs Sumner who became an instant hit by inaugurating an extra day's holiday to be known as Sumner Day.

I was initially in  1E and my wonderful Form Teacher was Miss Teare ,later to become Mrs Ridley. She taught English and I put my love of words down to her. Every week we had a list of words to learn to spell along with their meaning.

I did become somewhat of a rebel but most certainly must have been a latent  would-be swot as I still remember some of those words and yes, I did somewhat reluctantly become a teacher🤣.

From what I've read in further posts, regrettably Kitty's high standards  eventually went out of the window in the years after I left.   

Yes, we were pretty terrified of some staff but the worst punishment I remember was having to endure the humiliation of standing outside the bosses room waiting for a telling-off.

There was no bullying either  from staff or pupils although I'm embarrassed to say some of us were pretty objectionable to some of the less assertive teachers!

I'll not  risk boring anyone any further by going on anymore  but if anyone chooses to read and reply .......You might never shut me up!!