What would make you go to the Halcyon?

OneSpeed

Wow. Is it really that bad? I had no idea it had such a bad reputation/was so expensive! I don't work there, but i do know someone who's gonna be involved with the interim management until they refurb next year. So yeah, am interested to know what people think, and could pass on any ideas and stuff, but mainly i was just curious, it's not somewhere i know that well... also interesting to see if it could undergo a grand transformation! Maybe i've just got aspirations of social manipulation?!:D

Make sure they don't lower the prices, or if they do, that they don't lower them too much...:thumbsup:

I think its a great bar BUT i really hate paying to get into any bar- which you sometimes do if you go in there later on and some of the prices are extremly high, i was with a driver on weekend and he got a pint of coke and it came to nearly £2, thats ridiculous for 1 glass of coke!!!!!

I think its a great bar BUT i really hate paying to get into any bar- which you sometimes do if you go in there later on and some of the prices are extremly high, i was with a driver on weekend and he got a pint of coke and it came to nearly £2, thats ridiculous for 1 glass of coke!!!!!

There you go, a quality idea. Designated driver gets free soft drinks - just coke/lemonade - post mix is very cheap....and if the mark up is that large you'll not miss the stock.

Thats cheap for a pint of coke! Its usually at least £1.10 for half.

As for the Halcyon, seems they cant win. Charge high prices to keep the chavs out and people complain its too dear, keep the prices low and it will be full of chavs and people would complain about that.

If its too full, they must be doing something right :loopy:

wasn't very helpful in that last post - you seem to have a few good ideas there, esp the sunday, food would be good but only during the day - i don't think it would work in the evenings.

There seems to be alot of people after venues tho with the fez and that being bought so it may be worth approaching some of the guys that were booted out like pin up, future funk or mybe even UG for smaller parties.

Who has Fez been bought by?

Thats cheap for a pint of coke! Its usually at least £1.10 for half.

As for the Halcyon, seems they cant win. Charge high prices to keep the chavs out and people complain its too dear, keep the prices low and it will be full of chavs and people would complain about that.

If its too full, they must be doing something right :loopy:

So its only chavs that like cheap drinks? Very strange comment.

I certainly wouldn't class myself as a chav (I dont wear burberry and trackie bottoms) but still like a beer at a decent price.

Last time I went it was something ridiculous like £3 a pint which is way OTT for a bar. Plus I had to pay to get in :-(

So its only chavs that like cheap drinks? Very strange comment.

I certainly wouldn't class myself as a chav (I dont wear burberry and trackie bottoms) but still like a beer at a decent price.

Last time I went it was something ridiculous like £3 a pint which is way OTT for a bar. Plus I had to pay to get in :-(

Try and remember that that £3 has to pay for rent/rates/decor/staff/DJ's/maintenance etc.

If you want a 99p pint, you'd be best off trying your local WMC.

:rant:

... but for the record, i don't agree with charging to gain entry to a late bar. It all seems very naff. I'd rather see 10p go on the drinks instead.

Why should they give free or even cheap drinks to drivers? You've lost me. :huh:

As an incentive to people who may have to travel to Sheffield for a night out.

Lots of 'chain' bars do this as standard, also helps the image of the pub in terms of responsible drinking practices - which is handy for keeping the police/council on-side.

Why should they give free or even cheap drinks to drivers? You've lost me. :huh:

To help promote safer driving and to avoid drink driving that causes deaths, one of the main reasons when people are caught for drink driving is that it costs them just as much to stay on soft drinks. Alot of places give you free soft drinks in clubs if you are driving and you can prove it with your car keys.

Archived