What would make you go to the Halcyon?

OneSpeed

I've heard it's only really busy on weekend nights...and for the rest of the time it's quiet...like daytimes and weekday eves.... what would draw people in in the week (and in the day?) do you reckon? Where do people go instead and why?

Think i might be talking myself into a bar crawl here :D

Does it have a USP or is it simply yet another cloned bar / student pub? It's main problem is that it's in the middle of a whole batch of other bars. Want a cheap drink go to scream / varsity. A nice bar The Lounge or Bia Hoi. Real ale then you can go to the Devonshire Cat. And thats ignoring Swim Inn, Frog and Parrot, Forum Bar and whatever their upstairs bit is called now, BRB etc. etc. etc. With all that compettion another generic bar simply won't stand much chance...

i used to go to halycon religously every weekend a few years ago and i got out of the habit but for what its worth heres what i would do.

firstly promote it a bit better.

train the staff to serve faster

get the music policy spot on, deep house and disco at weekends midweek do stuff that is a bit unusual

for the day cheap food and drink are a must

sort the sound system and generally make it a more interesting place to go. its main problem is it doesn't have an image anymore.

main thing would be the music at weekends, thats what would persuade me to go back

Does it have a USP or is it simply yet another cloned bar / student pub? It's main problem is that it's in the middle of a whole batch of other bars. Want a cheap drink go to scream / varsity. A nice bar The Lounge or Bia Hoi. Real ale then you can go to the Devonshire Cat. And thats ignoring Swim Inn, Frog and Parrot, Forum Bar and whatever their upstairs bit is called now, BRB etc. etc. etc. With all that compettion another generic bar simply won't stand much chance...

Quality cocktails(?) & some nice spirits behind the bar. There's a couple of spirits behind the bar that you won't find in many other places in Sheffield. I'm aware that won't matter to you, but it is one of the biggest positives of the place!

There are places that offer great cocktails/other drinks that appeal to non-drinkers! I always feel like a great big advert for boho when I mention it, but it's because I know the place I can say this! There's a range of organic fruit juices behind the bar, and although there aren't any on the cocktail list most of the staff would be able to whip you up an alcoholic free cocktail or two! Especially if Mark is around!

I'm sure there are plenty of places in Sheffield that could whip you up a decent alcohol free cocktail or similar, but because of the (relatively) few people who will come in and not consume alcohol they often don't advertise it or put it on their menus.

Quality cocktails(?) & some nice spirits behind the bar. There's a couple of spirits behind the bar that you won't find in many other places in Sheffield. I'm aware that won't matter to you, but it is one of the biggest positives of the place!

There are places that offer great cocktails/other drinks that appeal to non-drinkers! I always feel like a great big advert for boho when I mention it, but it's because I know the place I can say this! There's a range of organic fruit juices behind the bar, and although there aren't any on the cocktail list most of the staff would be able to whip you up an alcoholic free cocktail or two! Especially if Mark is around!

I'm sure there are plenty of places in Sheffield that could whip you up a decent alcohol free cocktail or similar, but because of the (relatively) few people who will come in and not consume alcohol they often don't advertise it or put it on their menus.

Perhaps people don't consume them because they aren't advertised? If they aren't advertised then you don't know they are available! I know plenty of people who don't drink or only want one or two and get deeply annoyed that they are relegated to overpriced, over-watered soft drinks. Cater properly for these people and word will soon get round that you can sit and have a chat with your friends while they have a beer and you have a nice drink without feeling like a misfit cos you aren't out to get rat-arsed!

Well unless Halcyon can get their suppliers to pay for these free soft drinks who do you think will be paying?

Last time.

The 'cost' of the free soft drinks would be more than covered by the profit made selling soft drinks as mixers.

The net effect is a slight fall in the profit made from sales of soft drinks, but it wouldn't even raise an eyebrow.

In short, the bar covers the cost.

Sorry Macca, but you've still lost me. Why should a bar like Halcyon lose profit so it can give away free product to some of its customers? I'm fully aware of the cost of mixers and that they carry a good margin, but you still haven't explained why a bar should give away that profit in this Utopian world. :huh:

Sorry Macca, but you've still lost me. Why should a bar like Halcyon lose profit so it can give away free product to some of its customers? I'm fully aware of the cost of mixers and that they carry a good margin, but you still haven't explained why a bar should give away that profit in this Utopian world. :huh:

One driver could be worth anything up to four extra, paying, customers - sometimes more if the drive a people carrier.

Archived