Just curious! Anyone remember a murder in Castleton

manzmanz

There was a murder in Sheffield and it will be 15yrs in May this year ... Today would be Dawn Shields 34th birthday ... Dawn was my sister and greatly missed ... I find it hard to understand that with all this technology today her murder remains unsolved and that the person who commited this crime has done nothing since ....

Fudbeer

Somewhere amongst my ruins I have an old pamphet called. 'Allan & Clara or The Murder in the Winnatts'

The murder of this couple took place in April 1758, the young couple being robbed and killed and buried in a cave in the winnatt's Pass by 5 assailants.

The bodies weren't found for years, but a the skull of Allan was found which provided identification from a deficient front tooth.

This find led to the discovery of both skeletons which were buried in Castleton churchyard.

The killers were never found.

Hope this adds interest to your curiosity. PopT

• 2 months later...

Sovereign1

Thanks for the detailed info, I was in Greece at the time with my mum, and it was quite distressing as I knew Susan when she was 11/12 and her parents.

I can remember she was a very beautiful and what I call a perfect and rounded person and so bright and I was a few years younger and I looked up to her as a role model.

Even after all these years I still cannot understand why this happened, what was god's purpose to take someone away who would have had such a wonderful and fufilling life.

I just can't get my head around what happened and why

Sweet dreams R.I.P Susan xxxxxxxxx and all the best to her parents.

• 4 weeks later...

I remember Dawn Sield as I use to hang around with her when I was at school, always think about her when looking at the school photos and speaking to people after 20 years, she always looked after me through school, just wish that I never lost touch with her, Belated wishes to you and your family.

Edited by omalley4241

• 1 month later...
A few years ago I used to drink in a pub in Castleton and vaguely remember a local telling me that a young girl (tourist I think) was murdered and that a very young local lad had been jailed.

Its perhaps 20 years ago since the actual murder but to be honest I cannot remember much about what I was told that night and it’s bugged me ever since that I wasn’t listening (or forgot, or just too drunk to remember) and I’ve never found any details about a murder in Castelton on the net

I’m just curious as to what the story was - does anyone remember this happening in Castleton?

hi i remmber it it was more like 25 years ago as i was staying at an out ward bound centre what over looked the castle n i think she was a local girl n yes it was a locol gent that did it think he was from hope

hi i remmber it it was more like 25 years ago as i was staying at an out ward bound centre what over looked the castle n i think she was a local girl n yes it was a locol gent that did it think he was from hope

It was in 1983. See post #14 on this thread for the full, tragic story of this poor girl's murder by Norman Smith of Castleton. Such a senseless waste of life.

do you Know someone got trapped in the Peak Cavern and they could not get him out so they left him in there to die sometime in the 50,s

Neil Moss a 20 year old student got stuck down a tight fissure on a Sunday in 1959 pronounced dead on the tuesday due to passing out by his lamp using the oxegen up the fisure was sealed with rocks and left, the fisure was then named after him