Just curious! Anyone remember a murder in Castleton

manzmanz

Thanks for the story Soverign1. I remember this particular murder as I was working on The Ramblers Inn at Edale at the time. They had been fully booked at the time of the murder them guest's started to cancel their bookings for B&B. Their trade dropped off and I had noticed that their was not as many cars in the car park all off a sudden. It was so sad that this needless murder was down to 'sexual curiosity'.

I wonder if his family remained in Hope after his conviction or if they moved out of the area becuse of the shame?

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...
do you Know someone got trapped in the Peak Cavern and they could not get him out so they left him in there to die sometime in the 50,s

yes he was a potholer or caver, he was stuck in a small crevice apparently & he died whilst waiting for them to get him out.The whole site was filled with concrete i believe & a monument was put there?

When I worked as a driver-salesman for Fletchers in the 80s all of Hope Valley was my daily round,I delivered every day for 8yrs.At this time one of my customers in Castleton told me of another gruesome murder that happened there.Earls Cement factory were having building work done and outside workers were brought in I am not clear what date this happened but the story went that one of them a Scotsman I think lodged with a young family.He apparently started an affair with the wife who after a period tried to break it off,anyway he wouldn,t be brushed off and one night he crept into the house where the husband was laid on the settee watching TV.He had a claw hammer in his hand and smashed it down on the husbands head so hard the mans brains were hanging out of his skull,he made off and the body was discovered by the young son of the couple who was found screaming trying to put them back in his fathers head.Some poetic licence may have been used telling me the story but thats what I was told,maybe someone can discover the facts and dates to verify it!.:confused::help:

A few years ago I used to drink in a pub in Castleton and vaguely remember a local telling me that a young girl (tourist I think) was murdered and that a very young local lad had been jailed.

Its perhaps 20 years ago since the actual murder but to be honest I cannot remember much about what I was told that night and it’s bugged me ever since that I wasn’t listening (or forgot, or just too drunk to remember) and I’ve never found any details about a murder in Castelton on the net

I’m just curious as to what the story was - does anyone remember this happening in Castleton?

Here are some links to the news story of the time.

http://www.itnsource.com/shotlist//ITN/1983/07/10/AS100783005/?s=Susan+Elizabeth+Renhard+&st=0&pn=1

http://www.itnsource.com/shotlist//ITN/1983/08/25/AS250883018/?s=Susan+Elizabeth+Renhard+&st=0&pn=1

http://www.itnsource.com/shotlist//ITN/1984/02/24/AS240284008/?s=Susan+Elizabeth+Renhard+&st=0&pn=1

I read this thread thinking about a news item from when I was a kid. Was this the case where the police had some home video footage of a man walking away from the scene of the crime, taken from a nearby mountain top looking down onto a footpath? I remember that it was being shown on national tv for days afterwards. Is it the same case?