Mellowes & Company Ltd.

Hi Choirgirl thats so nice to hear of Grandad, I was only young when he past away so I only have very distant chilhood memories, one of us as children going and leaping on his bed when he was asleep not good for someone with a bad heart use to get a right ticking off from mum, and him being very jolly I'm sorry I do not know any names that use to work with him. It would be great to hear from any one who did know him or if dad ever worked there.

• 2 years later...

My grandfather Ben Doubleday worked in the drawing office from the 1920s through until his retirement in 1972 and my great grandfather William Collins Brown (Doubleday) was foreman there. My grandmother Hilda worked in the office as admin during the War, and her cousin Tom Porteous also worked there briefly.

Patent windows - steel casements

Bailey bridges for the war

The Mersey tunnel in Liverpool - particularly the interior glazed tile finishes

My grandfather spent a lot of time in Birmingham during the war - where I think a significant proportion of manufacturing was undertaken.

gingell

My late mother Peggy Marshman worked for Mellows in the 1950's early 60's, and my parents were good friends of Ben and Hilda Doubleday .

Ben and Hilda frequented our house many times over the years until the death of Ben , after which we had a long association with Hilda .

After my mothers death in 2006 I continued to correspond with Hilda in South Wales until her death at 101 years, I believe 12th Nov 2012.

Gary Marshman

North Wales

My grandfather Ben Doubleday worked in the drawing office from the 1920s through until his retirement in 1972 and my great grandfather William Collins Brown (Doubleday) was foreman there. My grandmother Hilda worked in the office as admin during the War, and her cousin Tom Porteous also worked there briefly.

Patent windows - steel casements

Bailey bridges for the war

The Mersey tunnel in Liverpool - particularly the interior glazed tile finishes

My grandfather spent a lot of time in Birmingham during the war - where I think a significant proportion of manufacturing was undertaken.

Jim Dempsey worked in the drawing office just after the war until they closed.

I certainly remember my late mother working with Jimmy Dempsey at Mellowes.

The ladies she worked with to mind were Joyce Bingham and Betty Teale.

I think Al Waite was the tea lady.

I seem to remember there was a major fire at the premises at some time during the 50's

---------- Post added 17-04-2013 at 18:59 ----------

Other names to mind from many years ago were Jimmy Topham and Graham Marples.

I met these people at the time of my mothers employment at Mellowes and recollect them occasionally visiting our house in those days.

• 5 years later...

Yes I remember a Mr Gosney, he was I think assistant manager to a Mr Brooks,

I myself started work as a junior in the drawing office, and spent early days making tea for the offices. Also used to go out and buy tobacco for both men,

They were rather particular and Mr Gosney had to have a mix of loose tobacco called "light returns". The tobacco shop was just down the hill from the Sheffield Telegraph building.

I also knew Reg Markwell a Director and his relative Billy Paton, both friends of my father. The chief draughtsman was called Williamson, and I remember a Mr Minns and a Horris Pots from the sales office.

I worked there for 2 years from late 1951 then went into RAF.

You must have been there when I worked in the Commissionaire's office and then Works office with Mr Underwood as my boss. I started in1949 and left around 1955. Yes,, we all started as "general dog's body, tea and coffee makers". When I started it was for the directors!! What's your name probably I will remember you?: