Joan radford cole heeley

joan cole

Help want to know about Fullwood Cottage Homes, my mother and her sister Frances May Oldham and Mary Oldham. stayed there, mother was born in 1905 her sister was born in 1900. Mum was 8 and her sister was 13 when they went into the home. Mums sister didnt stay too long because of her age and left, mum never saw her again. If anyone out there knows anything, could you let me know please. Thank you

Hi Joan, My husbands grandmother lived on Edwin Rd. many moons ago.

I did a Google and found details on the Fulwood Cottage Homes, apparently the registers are held in the Sheffield Archives on Shoreham St. They cover the period that you are asking about.

Cynthia, Ontario, Canada.

Hi Cynthia,

Thank you for your reply. Will be making a trip to Shoreham Street, hopefully at the weekend. I lived at No. 10 Edwin Road, my mum lived there until they were demolished.What was the name of your husbands grandmother, maybe I will remember her.

Joan

Hi Joan, When I said many moons ago I really did mean a long,long time ago she would not have lived there within the time you did. Her last name was Staley. In later years one of her relatives had a newspaper business in Heeley.

Cynthia, Canada.

Hi Cynthia, Yes I remember Staleys the Newsagents on Foster Road, think it was taken over by Woolhouses.Yes I remember the Staleys in Edwin Road, they had five 5 boys and one girl. The Mother may not be your husbands grandmother. I work with the youngest Staleys son. How long have you lived in Canada?

Hi,

I remember Staley's newsagents very well as myself and my husband used it as a meeting place in the 1960's. We were at Carfield School together and always used to meet "outside Staley's at half past six", this was our code at school.

Woolhouses did take over the shop and they also had the one on Anns Road and Heeley Green though it was two Woolhouse brothers who owned them seperately. Joe Woolhouse lived on Alexandra Road as I did also.

I have been to look at that area since and it's very "run down" ( in my opinion), no doubt someone will come along and say that it's as good as it ever was but, in the 50's and 60's it was an area of many well kept old terraced houses.

Regards,

Marlene

Hi Joan,

Just to let you know that the Shefield Archives will be closed from Monday 20th.November until Monday 11th.December for repair work to be carried out.

Thought I'd let you know so that you get your research work done at the Archives before then.

Regards,

Marlene

Archived