The Ponderosa - what was it?

Lotti

Hiya Lotti, The link shows the "tip" as we knew it then, (The ponderosa) as you know it now. The road running down the side of it is known as Bromley Street. where I was Born and brought up,I lived at number 94 across the yard from the shop that you can see in the bottom, next to the gates that led on to the tip. The street to the left is Wentworth st. and the flats to the left are on Martin St. I used to have a paper round, delivering to the flats..

The bottom field was used for tipping ashes from some firm or other, that was how it got its name.

Bluebird was quite right about the ponderosa at Tinsley Park,he gave an accurate description.

I hope this helps

http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-...f.refno=u01761

deecee

that's one of the pictures I linked to, for lotti, deecee, but there was one, taken looking up the hill, through the gates, showing houses, being demolished on that circular bit, higher up the hill (where the gateposts stand/stood) and I can't for the life of me find it... :(

so could we have an explanation, what does Tinsley have to do with the ponderosa at netherthorpe?

I can tell you that during the war, the ponderosa was a station for barrage balloons.

Hello PT

There was also a PONDEROSA at Tinsley Park, i only answered what was asked. There was no mention at all where or which ponderosa he meant or was on about, if you read it once more then you will find out yourself.

If he precured the time and place that he was on about we could answer it or not depending on the part of the city he was on about. Our knowledge is for the east end and not the southern end.

I thought that you would have known this P.T coming from the cliffe' yourself,

my husband Keith, Roy, John, Micheal, Allen, 2FOOT, Tony, Brian, Paddy and not forgetting Bywaters , have all recalled their days playing in the Tinsley Park Woods which became the Pondewrosa when the British Steel had it which was opened by the Duke of Edinburgh, which is now called Pond Star.

That is the expaination P.T , now can i have yours why you think it is Netherthorpe.

Different places, PT, have the same same nik names, if you have not noticed.

hope that this clears the air P.T

Ranskill Road and Peacock Row were two roads built to serve Tinsley Park Colliery.

My dad's side of the family all lived on Ranskill Road, as did Len Badger, the Sheffield United footballer. I believe that the two roads were demolished in approximately 1962. The houses ran off DC electricity which was generated by the pit. The end of Ranskill Road was situated just about opposite what my late dad used to call the ''locks'' (presumably the canal).

HI Treatment

can you remember the curtis family of Ranskill road and Pickering family who i think lived on Peacock Row.

we still see Nobby curtis.

Hello again. The only reason I put my oar into the thread was because the Ponderosa I knew about got its name from the massive steel works developement at Tinsley Park in the early sixties. If Bluebird and I had known that Lotti was asking about a different Ponderosa we wouldn't have bothered and there would have been no need for Plain Talker to get his knickers in a twist.

PT didn't get her knickers in a twist, and it's likely she knew where Lotti was on about as it's likely she knows which part of town Lotti lives in (as many of us do), and the reference to it's gates and walls are clearly items PT is familiar with :confused:

I was interested to read the info on Tinsley ponderosa as it's nearer to my neck of the woods :)

Why were these places known as 'ponderosa'? isn't that the name of a pub on eccy rd? I've googled it and it appears to be a pine tree :?

spot on. strix. ty

A pub, called The Ponderosa ? *thinks.....*

You might be thinking of the Pomona, which was named for the goddess of the harvest (or summat).

(raises hand and confesses that the Ponderosa at Tinsley, she had never heard of... only knew of the Netherthorpe/Crookesmooor one, and my mother was from the 'Cliffe:- i knew the terry street rec at carbrook)

edit- my father is from Netherthorpe

HI Treatment

can you remember the curtis family of Ranskill road and Pickering family who i think lived on Peacock Row.

I'm afraid that I don't. I was only a nipper at the time, and I only visited my grandad and also uncle Billy who ran a shop there. My dad was Jack Mather.

HI Treatment

I do recall, many years later, my Auntie Louie (who helped In my great uncle Billy's shop) and my dad talking about a Reuben Pickering. The context was that he had stomach problems and used to buy a lot of Bicarbonate of Soda from the shop.

Might this gentleman be part of the Pickerings that you mention ?