The Ponderosa - what was it?

Lotti

Thanks for the info guys.

I apologise - I didn't know that there was another ponderosa! Yes Strix, I found out that it was the name of a pine tree so wondered if it was to do with the woods there or something...

thanks for all the info - and sorry for confusing people!

hi, I too came from the netherthorpe area and the ponda was our stompin ground and as kids we always assumed it derived its nickname ponderosa from the popular tv series bonanza which was a western set on a ( big spread ) and the ponda was our big spread at the time

• 2 years later...

Hi Treatment i used to go to Billy Mathers shop when i was younger you had to have coupons for for most thing in them days My father was a big friend of Billy the used to go hore racing together i think he also had battery driven van to get stuff for the shop from market .There was also a Jack Mather a very good snooker player he won a big tournament of some kind his father was Jake he used go to the bar at the club order three pints of beer, when the third arrived he had drunk the other

Hi Treatment i used to go to Billy Mathers shop when i was younger you had to have coupons for for most thing in them days My father was a big friend of Billy the used to go hore racing together i think he also had battery driven van to get stuff for the shop from market .There was also a Jack Mather a very good snooker player he won a big tournament of some kind his father was Jake he used go to the bar at the club order three pints of beer, when the third arrived he had drunk the other

Billy was my Great Uncle Billy, he was a big gambler and he had the shop. He had a wooden leg, having had an accident in the pit. Jack was my great Uncle Jack, he had a Jimmy Edwards type 'tache.

The only one left alive is my Auntie Freda.

I worked for Gillotts bakeries from 58 to 60 and used to deliver bread etc to the people on Ranskil Road, it seemed miles from anywhere at the time, I well remember the people whinging about the gypsies that camped around the area and stole things from them.

Hi lotti - came from that area , believe it was called the 'ponderosa' when British Steel acquired it because it was such a big site it was nicknamed after the ranch on Bonanza , a very popular western in the late 50 -70's - i used to go out with someone who worked on this site. Once they demolished the houses etc it was quite large, they even took over part of the cemetery and you could walk past and see the ends of coffins behind the fencing. hope this helps where the name came from , perhaps some of the older generation will remember the same.

Hi Bluebird

Nobby Curtis his brothers Dave Dennis and John I lived in the next yard to them knocked about with Dave for years still see him lives at Brinsworh The Pikerings i think there was 2 families 1 live on Ranskill Rd the other on Peacock Row The 1 i knew was Kieth

Hi lotti - came from that area , believe it was called the 'ponderosa' when British Steel acquired it because it was such a big site it was nicknamed after the ranch on Bonanza , a very popular western in the late 50 -70's - i used to go out with someone who worked on this site. Once they demolished the houses etc it was quite large, they even took over part of the cemetery and you could walk past and see the ends of coffins behind the fencing. hope this helps where the name came from , perhaps some of the older generation will remember the same.

crikey! I never realised there was a cemetery there on the Ponderosa. (my Father and his family came from round that area -Mushroom Lane, Summer Street, Fawcett Street and "The Canada")

You can still see the "line" of Wentworth Street, in the "lane" that runs up the hill, in front of the Martin Street Flats, Parallel with Martin St itself.

May be of help.but I was born and bred near the Ponderosa,in fact my first job was working there when it was English steel corporation. I spent many a day over by the pump pond and climbing over the 'pointed' slacky. Also my Dad had a shop on Ranskill Road and I iknow a few people that lived there. Brian FerredayJohn Curtis Arthur davies. Joan Hindmarsh and family lived on Peacock Row. Th eairport is situated where the ponds used to be

the cemetery was at tinsley park, darnall not at netherthorpe, you walked on a path between british steel site (ponderosa) and the cemetery to get to the back of high hazel park at darnall. ranskill road and surrounding area they demolished for british steel was near or in darnall.