The Ponderosa - what was it?

Lotti

I use to play on the tip every night and of course spent all of the school holidays on there but never did we hear of Red Hill but having said that maybe you are thinking of the Red Hill that leads from Broad Lane to Solly Street near Edward Street flats not that far away from the tip.

Hi

When it was first put up the wide path between ( please I have to refer now to a street guide) . Bellfield Street down to the 13 storey flats was constructed and had red shale on it for quite some time before it was tarmacked. The factory was half way up it and was later demolished. We did use it at some point for sledging for those brave enough or at the bottom of the landscaped stepped area of Crookesmoor Rec at which some sledges were smashed if they hit the big stone slabs at the bottom.

was about 50 years since I lived down there.

Edited by trans
missed something out

Hi

When it was first put up the wide path between ( please I have to refer now to a street guide) . Bellfield Street down to the 13 storey flats was constructed and had red shale on it for quite some time before it was tarmacked. The factory was half way up it and was later demolished. We did use it at some point for sledging for those brave enough or at the bottom of the landscaped stepped area of Crookesmoor Rec at which some sledges were smashed if they hit the big stone slabs at the bottom.

was about 50 years since I lived down there.

You've brought back memories for me with the high rise flats. We use to play on those when they were half built, it was our adventure playground until the night watchman use to come and send us off. He couldn't chase us because he had a wooden leg.

You've brought back memories for me with the high rise flats. We use to play on those when they were half built, it was our adventure playground until the night watchman use to come and send us off. He couldn't chase us because he had a wooden leg.

Yes you wonder why until a lad that went to our school went missing for 2 years and we found that his face had been damaged that he had to have plastic surgery as he got it caught in one of the lifts

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is three years old :o

But in the interests of history....I do know that the Ponderosa was part of a small network of reservoirs in Sheffield.....there were 5 small linked ones.....including Crooks Valley Park.....and behind working up past what is now the Hallamshire Hospital. All date from the mid 1700's

This is very interesting. They would have predated the reservoirs up at Redmires.

• 3 weeks later...

My grandparents lived at the bottom part of mushroom lane, between the hospital and the ponderosa. They were the Pearsons, with William, Nellie, Frank and Keith Their back garden backed onto the ponderosa. Does anyone remember the prefab buildings that were a school, in the ponderosa, my sister went there.

The 'Ponda' is a place I used play everyday as a kid and My Grandmother Lived right next to it on Oxford street, for most of her life.

It was named by her in the 70's and caught on amongst all us kids.

It refers to the ranch in the western tv series "bonanza" which we used to watch at her house.

Named in early 60's I'm afraid

Named in early 60's I'm afraid

No it wasn't, most of the old houses were still on that ground in the early 60s but the tip was there which now also gets called the Ponderosa., but those that grew up there know they're to different areas.