Kiveton and Wales Community History Project

Hi,

We've just started a community history project in Kiveton Park and Wales, with funding from the Heritage Lottery Fund, we're doing lots of events and activities over the next year, including:

A History Website ( (w)ww.kivetonparkandwaleshistoryproject.org.uk - give us a couple of weeks to get it going, with a nice link to SF of course!)

Oral History Archive of local memories

On-line Museum

Old Photo Archive

Activities with Local Schools

Heritage Trails around the area

A History Documentary, with dramatic reconstructions

Exhibitions about the area locally and in national museums

History Float for next year's carnival

Community Coach Trips

Tracing Your Family Tree Workshops (in the new year)

Please PM or e-mail history@kpwcdt.co.uk if you would like to be involved in any way - from coming on trips to go underground at the National Coal Mining Museum to taking part in historical reconstructions of scenes from the Miners' Strike!

In particular, we would be really grateful if you could get in contact if you have any memories, photographs or objects relating to the history of the area. We've already been loaned everything from miners' soap to milk bottles - we're taking photos for an on-line museum and giving objects straight back.

In the meantime, it would be great if forummers could contribute to this thread with memories or thoughts about the area (I know many forummers live here, some who have worked here in the past and someone else who used to come to take part in the pantomine each year back in the eighties!).

There is a coffee morning at the Festival Hall on 25 November, between 10am and 2pm, if you would like to pop down to see what we're doing. Please bring any photographs and objects with you.

Look forward to hearing from you,

John Tanner

Kiveton Park and Wales Community History Project

(ps it feels strange posting on the History Section using my own name!)

hi john tanner hope it goes well with the site me being a kivo lad born and bred look forward too taking a look at the site when its up and running.may well be able to help you out with some photos and stories and just to start you off i live in the only house in the village that had a child from down london sent there during the war for safe keeping and i belive he is 75 now and still alive

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Sorry for not getting back sooner.

Tom - yes, I was the one lucky enough to get the job, I know there were lots of applications.

Neil - sounds really fascinating, I'll look into it. We're putting together a series of local history pamphlets, one of which will be about the villages' war-time experiences, including evacuees. I'll PM you when the website is sorted, the History Morning at the Festival Hall on 25 November should be interesting and give an idea of what we're doing, if you're around and fancy a cup of tea and a chat.

Look forward to hearing from you and thanks to those who have e-mailed me since this thread was started.

John T.

Hi Lindsey,

I'm not sure - this is a 15-month project which only started two months ago, but I know history activities have taken place in the area before, and we're certainly benefiting from the hard work done by people in the past.

The History Volunteers tend to meet towards the end of the month at the Parish Rooms - the next meeting is on 16 November at 3.30pm - although there are tend to be various activities most weeks.

John T.

Lindsey,

'Hmmm call me a cynic'? I'm not sure why you're being so sceptical, but this was meant to be a positive thread about a project which many members of the local community are already very involved in.

I don't see how it can come to nothing. For a start, I'm giving a great deal of time and energy into the project and I don't really fancy doing 'nothing' all day for the next year or so. National funding has been provided by the National Lottery Heritage Fund. Dozens of local people have come forward to offer their help. Local schools, colleges and universities are involved. The website is a couple of weeks away from completion. We've already got many activities planned over the coming months, including workshops with the Oral History Society to put together an on-line oral history archive. A touring exhibition of Kiveton and Wales History will be shown locally, in Rotherham and at the National Coal-Mining Museum. The first publication should be hitting the presses by the end of the month - I'll post details on here as it will be available to download free of charge from the website.

I'm not involved in the pithead regeneration project and I'm not in a position to comment on it, or the work which has been going on for the last few years.

John

Lindsey,

'Hmmm call me a cynic'? I'm not sure why you're being so sceptical, but this was meant to be a positive thread about a project which many members of the local community are already very involved in.

Becasue we see these things come & go thats why :|

I don't see how it can come to nothing. For a start, I'm giving a great deal of time and energy into the project and I don't really fancy doing 'nothing' all day for the next year or so.

I dont doubt this for a second, but usually it comes to nothing

National funding has been provided by the National Lottery Heritage Fund.

It was last time

Dozens of local people have come forward to offer their help. Local schools, colleges and universities are involved.

I haven't seen a single thing about this - anywhere. Other than the uproar over the job advert. I am very involved with the local schools, and still haven't seen anything.

The website is a couple of weeks away from completion. We've already got many activities planned over the coming months, including workshops with the Oral History Society to put together an on-line oral history archive. A touring exhibition of Kiveton and Wales History will be shown locally, in Rotherham and at the National Coal-Mining Museum. The first publication should be hitting the presses by the end of the month - I'll post details on here as it will be available to download free of charge from the website.

Then I shall see then. I am not having a go about it - it's just all these things get promised & nothing happens.

Hopefully this will be different, it would be a real shame to see all your hard work was for nothing.

Cheers Lindsey - I'll PM you when the website is ready.

In the meantime, give me a shout if you'd like to pop down sometime for a coffee and to see all the stuff we've collected so far (I try to be in the Colliery Offices from Monday - Wednesday, but I'm in and out this week).

JT

Archived