Kiveton and Wales Community History Project

PS On checking the fam history, it would appear that Thomas (the migrant) moved across to work on the railway lines initially (census occupation) before his career change to the coal face. Im sure a lot of men did, but I understand they were in situ when the coal face was first opened up as I can now link the stories of the children being taught in the colliery offices, before the school was built, which will tie up with the mines history.

Hi

My Grandfather also followed the railway to Kiveton. Born in 1866, he left Ireland c1880 and worked in St Helens nr Liverpool first, but then worked as a tuneller on the Railway lines at woodhead eventually ending up on the Stavely Tunnel. He lived in Eckington & Killamarsh then. He then got work at Stavely Pit and Norwood pit before getting a pit house in Kiveton, when he got a job at Kiveton Pit. He lived in Kiveton until his death in the 1930's.

He had 12 children- Steve, Tom, Walter, Jim, Willy, Edmund, Kenneth, Michael, Winifred, & Catherine plus two other girls who died as children, He was the first Irishman in Kiveton and my Dad Ken, was named after the first Scotsman, a Doctor. Most of his children (the males anyway) worked at Kiveton Pit at one time or another. Walter served in the RE during the D-day landings in Normandy, Kenneth left the pit c.1953 and joined the Sheffield Police, Michael went to work for Austin in Birmingham, Jim became a Phsicyatric Nurse in London. Stephen moved to Langold and became an Alderman in Worksop. A daughter, Winifred was in the ATS during the war. Edmund became a pit deputy at Kiveton, Catherine (Kitty) lived in a Bungalow (Druids lodge) at Low Laithe Farm, Wales. Willy worked at UNBRAKO and was the Secretary at Wales Jubilee Club

This was his obituary, quite a few names on it some of the descendants of these may still live in Kiveton.

Mr. Michael Burke, Kiveton Park

A well know and much respected resident of Kiveton Park has passed away in Mr. Michael Burke, who died on the 18th inst, after a week’s illness, at the age of 71 years. The deceased was born in Roscommon, Ireland, and came to Killamarsh about 46 years ago finding employment at the Norwood Collieries. Mr. Burke had lived in Kiveton Park for the last 22 years and, until his retirement a few years ago was employed at the Kiveton Park Collieries. He leaves a widow, eight sons and two daughters to mourn his loss.

The interment took place at Wales cemetery, the service being conducted by the Rev. Father Whitehead, of St Josephs, Dinnington. The Mourners were; Mrs. Burke, widow; Mr., and Mrs. T. Burke, Mr. and Mrs. S. Burke, Mr. and Mrs. C. Elliott, Miss W. Burke and Messrs James, William, Michael Edmund and Kenneth Burke, Sons and Daughters, son-in-law and daughters-in-law; Eileen Burke, Patrick Burke and Tony Burke, grandchildren; Mrs. Anderson, Mr. and Mrs. E. Spencer (Worksop), Mr. and Mrs. Newstead, Mr. and Mrs. J. Malone (Killamarsh), Cousin; Mr. E. Malone, the Misses Winifred and Mary Anderson, Nephew and nieces; Mr., and Mrs. Speed, Mrs. P. Lorgan, Mrs. Dowd, Mr. and Mrs. McNulty, Mrs., J. W. Sissons, Mr., and Mrs. Kelly, Mr. and Mrs. F. Whittingham, Mr. J. King (Aston), Mr. and Mrs. J. Atkin, Mr. and Mrs. G. Clarke, Mrs. Fairbrother; the Kiveton Park Co-operative Women’s Guild was represented by Mrs. L. Jarvis and Mrs. Rhodes, and there were many other friends.

The bearers Messrs. A. Shaw, A. Fletcher, W. Barber, W. Pearson, J. Kelly and J. Stanniland.

Floral tributes were from: Wife and Children, Winnie and Kenneth; Kitty and Cyril: Willie and Edmund, Michael and Ray; James and Lena: Tom, Edith, Tony and Keith; Steve, Dolly and Children; Nellie and Ernest; Clara, Peter and family; Jim, Lizzie and family; Tom, Kate and family (Worksop); Mrs. J. W. Sissons and family; Low Laithe Farm, Wales; Mr. and Mrs Kelly; Wales Jubilee Club; Ladies Domino Party ( Wales Jubilee Club); Kiveton Park Co-operative Womens Guild) (Friends and neighbors).

The Funeral arrangements were in the hands of Mr. A. Powis, and the motor hearse and cars were supplied by Mr. A. Bartrop (Worksop)

• 2 weeks later...

Lostrider - that's fascinating, could you let me have the date of the obituary so I can get hold of a copy?

SolidsSister - I'll email you this week if I may. A number of people have highlighted the great work the Burton Street Project has been doing and I'd like to pop in and say hello.

Cheers,

John

hi john

just wonderd when the web site will be up and running,and just thinking how funny it is ending up living where you do.if it wasnt for my grandfather and his brother walking from bradford ,calling at as many mines as they could looking for work in the depression.they were set on at kiveton thats why my family live in the village

Solidsister - fantastic, I'll try and pop in asap. I'm a little hectic at the moment and have just realised that I've arranged interviews for every morning and afternoon this week and next! Our first baby is due in the next couple of weeks, but I'll try to pop in before that. Michelle Winslow forwarded me your latest newsletter last week and it'll be great to swap ideas.

exmrdbd: could you ask your grandma to give me a ring on 01909 773348? It would be great to interview her. I've got lots of photos of the old white city. A local person did some university work on the White City which is interesting, and as part of the project we're putting together a pamphlet of photos about different parts of the village.

Neils: The site is almost there (I've been saying this for a while I know!). It is looking really good, although in the first instance only around thirty old photos (of the 400+ we have collected so far) and thirty or so pictures from our picture museum will be online. The rest will be added in the summer.

Cheers,

John

Hello Neils, Sorry to contradict you. Kiveton Lass born and bred. My mother had a family of 3 evacuees from London. A girl and two brothers. I have photos, also a friend and neighbour had a cockney boy. They all stayed until a year after the war. The cockney would be about 74 now, not sure if he's still around. Some years later he was front page of a well known newspaper arrested for armed robbery. Good job he didn't hang around.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I'll pop on again to give you more information about what we're doing tomorrow, or tonight from home, but I wanted to let you know that the site is finally on-line. A few things which we need to iron out and a fair few typos, but we're almost there!

http://www.kivetonparkandwaleshistoryproject.org.uk

The site is only a small part of what will be on there by the summer. For example, we have 1400+ photos to put in the photo archive and another few dozen to put in the Photo Museum (the next stage is to include categories and a search engine).

The main focus of the project is to record the mining heritage of Kiveton Park and Wales but, as you can see from the publication list, we are ensuring that we are recording the wider history of the mining communities in the area. Because of all the help we've got from local people, whether researching, writing, editing and proofing books and pamphlets, there should be more than twenty downloadable by the end of the year. Please let me know if you have any other ideas for a publication.

I look forward to seeing you/chatting soon - there will be a big history walk and tour in April which is being arranged by myself and the Forestry Commission around Kiveton if anyone fancies it, including talks by former miners and the chance to explore our full photograph collection.

Please feel free to pop in for a coffee at the colliery offices, and to have a look at our new museum/archive/history workshop (having said that, my baby's due next week so you might want to leave it a couple of weeks!)

All the best,

John

ps. if you have any photos, memories, objects, or would like to get involved, please get in touch:

John Tanner

Kiveton Park and Wales Community History Project

Old Colliery Offices

Kiveton Park

S26 6LR

01909 773348

Hi, I was born and grew up in Kiveton. My father was one of ten children of a well known Kiveton family. He and his four brothers all followed their father to work at the colliery.As far as I know three of them remained there, one left when he got married and moved to Langold and my dad eventually became Steward of Wales Club.

In 1956, at Wales Church, I married a member of another well known local family. We had two children and later left Kiveton in 1967. My brother still lives in the area(Thurcroft) It shouldn't be difficult to work out who I am and I would love to hear from anyone who might remember me

Archived