Kiveton and Wales Community History Project

Hello John,

I also was born and raised in Kiveton. My father worked down the pit and died young from kidney disease, brought on, so my mother said, by working up to his waist in cold dirty water. My grandfather also worked down the mine and his father was born in Swadlincote, Derbyshire and came to Kiveton to help sink the mine shaft. My father's brother escaped the pit by playing football. He played for Sheff Un and Chelsea amongst others, and later he became landlord of the "Beehive" at Harthill. I escaped by going to Woodhouse Grammar School and then Hull University. After National Service my wife and I lived in Kiveton for several years and had two children before my work took me to Scunthorpe, then Kuwait, Guisborough and finally I retired to Saltburn. I have many happy, (and a few not so happy) memories of my early years in Kiveton. Miss Thorpe and Miss Jarvis in the Infant school, Miss Bradley, Mr Bass and "Daddy" Boulton in the Juniors. "Bobby" Prince, Dr McKenzie, Nurse Hope and Bill Pritchard who looked after the tennis courts, bowling green and putting green all spring to mind, and as I write,so many others come to mind. I would be very happy to hear from any of the people I knew back then, and if you have any information about my family, (I'm sure you will have guessed which it is) I would be pleased to hear it. I have looked at the photos on your web site and recognise some of the faces. It would have been a great help, though, if they had titles and dates, even if only approximate. I believe I have some which I will look out.

Hi alchresearch,

Paul from j31.co.uk and myself are working closely together. An interview with Paul will be appearing on our site shortly which we recorded a couple of weeks ago. It isn't some kind of competition and both sites serve different purposes, so I don't quite follow your post.

The point has been taken about the flash and had already been recognised. We're taking steps to offer an alternative for those with slower connections.

Cheers for the feedback.

Hello John,

I also was born and raised in Kiveton. My father worked down the pit and died young from kidney disease, brought on, so my mother said, by working up to his waist in cold dirty water. My grandfather also worked down the mine and his father was born in Swadlincote, Derbyshire and came to Kiveton to help sink the mine shaft. My father's brother escaped the pit by playing football. He played for Sheff Un and Chelsea amongst others, and later he became landlord of the "Beehive" at Harthill. I escaped by going to Woodhouse Grammar School and then Hull University. After National Service my wife and I lived in Kiveton for several years and had two children before my work took me to Scunthorpe, then Kuwait, Guisborough and finally I retired to Saltburn. I have many happy, (and a few not so happy) memories of my early years in Kiveton. Miss Thorpe and Miss Jarvis in the Infant school, Miss Bradley, Mr Bass and "Daddy" Boulton in the Juniors. "Bobby" Prince, Dr McKenzie, Nurse Hope and Bill Pritchard who looked after the tennis courts, bowling green and putting green all spring to mind, and as I write,so many others come to mind. I would be very happy to hear from any of the people I knew back then, and if you have any information about my family, (I'm sure you will have guessed which it is) I would be pleased to hear it. I have looked at the photos on your web site and recognise some of the faces. It would have been a great help, though, if they had titles and dates, even if only approximate. I believe I have some which I will look out.

Your memories have just prompted a lot of nods and agreement from a couple of volunteers who have been down here recording a radio show! It would be great if yourself and amadoresblue could jot down your memories of the area and e-mail them to us so we can put them on the site and in the archive. Quite a few people who left the village a while ago and have been in touch and getting memories from that perspective is very interesting.

If you had any further information or photos you could e-mail me about your families' time in Kiveton it would be much appreciated - it sounds like you'll have some fascinating things to share. I've got pit records, including the original surfacemen's book - which if they started on the surface (which most did) will have your family's signatures from the days they first started work.

Similarly, could you let us have more information about your uncle and his time with United and Chelsea? One of our volunteers (who had uncles who managed Arsenal and played for Wednesday - two lots of rivalry!) has just identitified who you are and said it would be great if we could get some more information and meet up sometime.

Might you be able to pop down to see us in June? We're turning the colliery site and offices into a living museum for four days - I've been around all the schools and the youth and community centre this morning finalising details and it all looks very promising - it's great how everybody is pulling together and being so positive about the project. There will be photo and museum displays, barbecues, pit ponies and lots more, with the local youngsters putting on drama and music displays related to local history and particularly the pits. The saturday is the big day (the other days are devoted to the schools) so it would be great to see you there.

I look forward to chatting properly at some point!

John

Cheers for all your efforts Graham (surprise to see you on here!). I'm at home but have asked volunteers to check our collection of maps about your queries, will get back to you asap.

Amadoresblue/Sybarite Six - Many thanks for the e-mail and apologies for not replying as yet. I decided to not read it until I could sit down in peace with a coffee but I've been out of the office since and can't access it from home - baby is already a week late!!!! Could you resend it to my university e-mail, which I can access from home? (j.tanner@shef.ac.uk)

Could you forward me some more information and any photos of your uncle I could use on the website, SybariteSix? We have a new section waiting to go on-line which celebrates what have been quite astonishing sporting achievements by local people since the late 19th century and I would like to include more information about him.

Similarly, I am putting a new section together about the sinking of the pit, for which I have a number of photos, local reports and many anecdotes. It would be wonderful if you could contribute any more information. Could I mention that I have been in touch with you when I write this section (I presume your ancestor was Jonas Eames - could you let me know if this isn't the case?).

• 6 years later...

SyboriteSix

I have just read your post, and note your mention of WGS.

I am originally from Swallownest, but had uncles/aunts and cousins born and living in Kiveton.

Some family names - Worthy Cope and John Cope - pit offices, John's son Geoff Cope who was a teacher, Johns wife Hilda was the area Spirella Corsetier, Geoffs wife Mary Wainscote from a Harthill farming family who he married, also a teacher, Ray Thorpe and his son Young Ray worked at the pit, the father Ray drove a truck delivering coal to miners homes, Horace Sayles, ??? Canwell, Charles Harrison and his wife Phillys, joiner and undertaker, Lloyd Batty and others I cannot recall at the minute

I spent a lot of time at kiveton with my cousins Ray and Marion Thorpe, many visits to Kiveton Fair and Kiveton picture house - in the 1950's

Re WGS, I went there Sept 1951to July 1957 - wonder if I know you. Would you travel on the "Kivvy Stopper" ??? - pre 1940, Geoff and Mary went to WGS, Hilda Cope and Annice Sayles also went to WGS - Hilda, Annie and Phillys maiden name was Wasteney - well known family in the area, and our Wasteney emblem RED LION is used for the pub at Todwick crossreads and also in the Todwick village sign, plus various Wasteney Roads in Todwick

Best Regards - Grey Eminence - Subang Jaya - Malaysia

Archived