Are most Stereotypes GENERALLY True?

Well could they be GENERALLY true?

If so, how do stereotypes emerge in the first place?

For example: If I was to say some thing ridiculous like most Chav’s are going to become future doctors to masses of people enough times backed up with examples, Would this then become a common Stereotype?

Or could it be the way some of the media report on certain Issues & Topics?

Could it be that some stereotyped groups of people are a self-fulfilling prophecy?

NB: Please do not use this Topic to slag off any Races or Religious Groups, by all means use examples but back them up with Reasonable Factual Evidence to put across your point of view.

Discuss….

In America the stereo type of English people is they all have really bad teeth, and bad breath like Austin powers.

In Australia English people are soap dodgers; "How do you hide something from a pom? Put it under the bar of soap".

I think the stereo type is correct but then again we dont take the Americans seriously though do we?? Or is that stereotypical of us Brits??

I agree that many Americans are extemely fit (especially the women) :thumbsup:

Indeed. :)

Seriously though, you must have seen it lord chav? The gyms with huge windows at the front so when you walk by you can see these uber fit people in side. America may have some fat people, but goddam it has some serious health addicts as well, and a whole lot of people who spend 5 hours a day working on their perfect bodies. Another English stereo type is we are all pale and skinny.

Well we say Americans are all fat, but you wont find a country with more extreamly fit people.
Yes, out of 300 million there are thousands and thousands of really fit people.

And tens of millions of outragiously obese people.

I think were too modest, not that Im stereotyping or anything.

I think thats a fair assumption, and i agree.

I think us english should start acting more arrogant, Were always willing to settle for second best, and we should aim higher.

Take sport for example, this might be a huge assumption, but typically everyone down the local (and every other pub I have been in) hate tiger woods, cos he is too arrogant. But IMO he is the best golfer in the world. and he thrives on it.

Arrogance does have its place in sport, and in virtually every aspect of the world, it just needs to be used in moderation.

I think thats a fair assumption, and i agree.

I think us english should start acting more arrogant, Were always willing to settle for second best, and we should aim higher.

Take sport for example, this might be a huge assumption, but typically everyone down the local (and every other pub I have been in) hate tiger woods, cos he is too arrogant. But IMO he is the best golfer in the world. and he thrives on it.

Arrogance does have its place in sport, and in virtually every aspect of the world, it just needs to be used in moderation.

A lot of us Brits also seem hate David Beckham when its Blatantly obvious he is one of the best footballers in the world! I dont think Beckham is arrogant either so what is it about us Brits in general! that seem to like putting us selves down?

Archived