Wheres all the RnB gone??

Sheff Chick

Now here's a good question - What do you mean by RnB?

I've always regarded it as 'Rhythm and Blues' - the afore mentioned Wilko Jonnson, Graham Parker, Walter Trout....dirty blues guitar.

I assume you mean what I've heard described as 'Urban'?

I've always regarded it as 'Rhythm and Blues' - the afore mentioned Wilko Jonnson, Graham Parker, Walter Trout....dirty blues guitar.

I don't class any of those as R&B either. You really should have said Aretha Franklyn, Dionne Warwick, James Brown, Sam Cooke, Marvin Gaye, Ray Charles or even Fats Domino.

Urban is a STRICTLY UK title that can mean hip hop also and UK garage, drum n bass:)

Ahh the familiar refrain of outraged middle aged rockers to use of the term "R&B" in its original and most universally used meaning

R&B has been used since at least the early 50s to describe black pop music. The term was high jacked in the 60s/70s by white pub rock bands playing their versions of 40s/50s US black r&b. But as the term has been used consistantly for at least 50 years to describe different progressions of black pop music - i think they've got a better claim to it...

Ahh the familiar refrain of outraged middle aged rockers to use of the term "R&B" in its original and most universally used meaning

R&B has been used since at least the early 50s to describe black pop music. The term was high jacked in the 60s/70s by white pub rock bands playing their versions of 40s/50s US black r&b. But as the term has been used consistantly for at least 50 years to describe different progressions of black pop music - i think they've got a better claim to it...

Steady on - all I did was ask.

No need to bring my age in to it! And I don't get outraged about music - to be honest there's more in life to get peeved about than that!

Steady on - all I did was ask.

No need to bring my age in to it! And I don't get outraged about music - to be honest there's more in life to get peeved about than that!

Banter and opinions mate. thought i would bring your age in to it as i am closely catching up. I am not peeved, I did smile :)

I think Mary J Blige would definately argue this point. Aaliyah rip,relation to the fabulous Thelma Houston (Whitney Houston) would also more than definately argue that.

I think Mary J Blige would definately argue this point. Aaliyah rip,relation to the fabulous Thelma Houston (Whitney Houston) would also more than definately argue that.

I appreciate the shifting sands between US Soul/Hip Hop/R&B are well beyond my limited knowledges of the genres... more making the point of its continued use for US black music.

btw - I'm in my late 30 s- so would take any age reference with a pinch of salt..

;)

you just dont get many young folk into 70s pub rock - so its mainly blokes in their late 30s/40s/50s to make the "its not proper R&B like XXXX (insert pub rock band)" comment which crops up quite frequently

you just dont get many young folk into 70s pub rock - so its mainly blokes in their late 30s/40s/50s to make the "its not proper R&B like XXXX (insert pub rock band)" comment which crops up quite frequently

It is a frequently-made point but maybe because it's seldom explained very well and ironically, some artists have been airbrushed out of its history as they don't fit the modern definition.

You're saying the Feelgoods/Stones/Yardbirds/Zep/[insert any 1960s/70s guitar band name] were never proper RnB, so never counted, being mere imitations of the original black blues singers (which those groups willingly concede). But that's the same point as the fat old pub rock bore moaning that Mary J Bilge or whoever isn't 'proper RnB'. Not sure where Hendrix, Love etc fit in here.

Labels, we love 'em. There's only two types of music - good and bad...etc

Archived