What is the most out of date food item you have?

I once bought a huge jar of Mango Chutney from a shop on Abbeydale Road which turned out to be 18months past it's sell by date. It practically leapt from the jar and throttled me when I opened it. Took it back and the shopkeeper feigned complete ignorance of the sell by date and said it was fine.

I once threw out a tin of hot chocolate mix that was fifteen years past its sell-by date.

I still OWN some things which are ten-years-plus past their sell-by date, but they are things like salt, which shouldn't even HAVE a sell-by date. Salt does not go off. ("Formed on the coasts of Essex more than a hundred and fifty million years ago .... warning: use by December '06.")

Canned meat will also last, to all intents and purposes, forever. I knew people in the '80s who were still eating meat that had been canned during the War.

My friend opened and used a carton of uht milk that was 7 years out of date. He also ate some of his mum's homemade jam he found in the back of the pantry, she'd been dead 20 odd years.

My parents bought their house before I was born and in the cellar was a rack of homemade wine of unknown vintage. When I was about 16 we opened one for the first time, it was lovely and we soon finished the rest.

Recently I was given a 1973 bottle of Moet Champagne that had been saved for a day that never came, on getting the foil off the cork just fell out with no gas behind it, it had long since gone off, shame.

Archived