What is the most out of date food item you have?

I once bought a huge jar of Mango Chutney from a shop on Abbeydale Road which turned out to be 18months past it's sell by date. It practically leapt from the jar and throttled me when I opened it. Took it back and the shopkeeper feigned complete ignorance of the sell by date and said it was fine.

After 10 pints of lager, together with a few popadoms, followed by a chicken vindaloo I bet it would taste great

• 3 years later...
May I ask why?

Shaw was the kind of bloke who met the world head on, mould and all.

Ironic that he died only a week after writing this- and it wasn't the mouldy food that got him :(

Sorry- I just wasn't expecting to find some of his posts to catch me by surprise.

As for sell by dates, I had a very out of date tin of treacle that turned explosive a couple of years ago. That's one sell by date that I'll respect in future!

It took hours to clean the treacle out of all the corners in the kitchen cupboard when it went bang.

Shaw was the kind of bloke who met the world head on, mould and all.

Ironic that he died only a week after writing this- and it wasn't the mouldy food that got him :(

Sorry- I just wasn't expecting to find some of his posts to catch me by surprise.

As for sell by dates, I had a very out of date tin of treacle that turned explosive a couple of years ago. That's one sell by date that I'll respect in future!

It took hours to clean the treacle out of all the corners in the kitchen cupboard when it went bang.

Awww, I'm sorry to hear that. RIP Shaw.

I recently came across of tin of plum tomatoes with a best before date of 1998. There was no difference between them and some with a much more recent date.

Best before dates are just a con especially wrt tins. I remember my gran's pantry, she had stuff going back to the war that was fine decades later!:hihi:

not my house im quite funny about sell by dates with 2 young children, but about 5 years ago i was cleaning out my grandads medacin cupbord and found something that had sell by of 84 thats the year i was born.

funny thing is year after i found a couple with the 90s on dnt no wher he got them from.

Loved the image of the exploded treacle! :lol:

Eww, you have my sympathies getting rid of that lot! Bet everything still felt sticky afterwards... :P:P

My mum recently threw a lot of her herbs & spices - they were from the late 70s/early 80s. She also had a load of frozen parsley in the freezer from 1983!!!

Around 5 years ago I opened a tin of Carnation Milk that was 3 years out of date. Yuck, it had separated & gone lumpy. Sometimes tinned good do need a use-by date!

Archived