Afgan & Iraq - what happens next?

we will never stop terrorists and as the British Army have found out in Afghanistan, they are alot tougher and wiser than we all firt imagined, there are too many of them and we will never stop them!!!! i just hope my fiance doesnt have to go out there, it must be an awful place to be, and although he has been to Iraq, it is nothing like what Afghanistan is!!!!!!! it is time to pull our lads out of Iraq and Afghanistan!!!

One major miscalculation that we've made about the cultural attitude of people in that part of the world. No matter how bad their own leaders might be, they will always prefer that to being led by an outsider. Afghans, for example, would far rather be governed by a mad, evil Afghani, than by a good, honourable, decent American.

In the West, our tribal attitudes have mostly been subverted into sport ("I don't care how many trophies and championships Manchester United have won, they're still crap!") In much of the world, tribal attitudes still dominate. They will ALWAYS prefer their own tribesmen to anyone from any other tribe, and they will ALWAYS prefer someone from another tribe within the same country, to someone from outside the country.

In short, even though the vast majority if Iraqis didn't want Saddam Hussein as their leader, they won't support an American invasion to get rid of him. That seems illogical to us, but if we could think in their mindset, we'd have known it in advance.

Doubt if I'll ever understand the arrogance of Blair and Bush in thinking they can impose a 'liberal' democracy in places like Iraq and and Afghanistan. The very concept is alien to the majority of these peoples whose history is steeped in religious obedience and tribal alliegance.

The long term outlook is ignomimious defeat, - not a military defeat perhaps, but the realisation that the whole undertaking is doomed to failure. It need not have been so in Iraq perhaps, had not Bush and his cronies exploited the post invasion situation just to make a fast buck. As things are now American and British troops will be the scapegoats for inexcusable political incompetence and opportunism.

Bush and Blair have proved to be the best allies Al-Quaida could have wished for.

• 4 years later...

the whole of the middle east worries me. i don't trust any of the middle eastern countries not one jot. all the problems in the world all seem to stem from the middle east. i sometimes think we and the usa would be better of just walking away and letting them sort their own mess out.

Archived