Friendly pubs in Walkley?

nelly_d

I'm thinking about moving to live in Walkley, and need to know what the pubs are like. Are there any with a nice atmosphere, and friendly to non-locals? (I'm not a student but look like one, which could make me unpopular in some "local" pubs!)

Most of the pubs are freindly enough in Walkley - though tend to be more locally than "big night out" type pubs. True - they arent full of students being whacky and loud - but I cannot imagine you getting much greif in most of them if you're just in for a beer & a chat.

As well as the trad local pubs - just down the hill there are also quite a few real ale pubs (Hilsborough Hotel, New Barrack Tavern Gardeners Rest).

The nearest "studenty" type pub is probably the Springvale at Commonside.

There's a good range of pubs in Walkley and environs. I'd even say it would be one of the reasons in favour of moving there (if that's important to you in an area - it is to me!).

The hills affect which ones become more of a regular local than others though, as pub crawls can be a hike - though part of the fun. Walkley covers a large and ill-defined area, so which pubs are handy is a bit of a movable feast really.

I can't think of any that wouldn't be glad of your custom or are at all hostile. Some of them suffer from not enough customers, so occasionally in some of the back-street out of the way ones, the staff seem surprised, but pleased, to see you.

Go and check them all out.

The pubs in Walkley are great. :):thumbsup:

Good to see you back posting again. Missed your anecdotes. Hope you had a good holiday.

Walkley pubs are real pubs. If you want something a bit busier than the locals like the Palm and the Royal, there ar a few busy pubs in Crookesmoor there is one on the main road (forgotten name now), just around the corner on School Road are the Closed Shop and the Hallamshire and then Hadfield... also not too far away from Crookes, where you can go to the Cobden View, Heavygate, Ball, Noah's and for a real night out t'Masons.

Also not far from the pubs mentioned in Hillsborogh.

Spoiled for choice.

I would say the Hadfield on Commonside is good, but last time I was in there I lost my wallet :rant::loopy:

I found it and having a great time using your mobility pass! Although did'nt get many beers out of the £1.21 you left in it.

There is a phone number in there for 'Big Brenda' if you want it back pm!

The Rose House used to be appalling, but from what I hear its improved recently.

Top Freedom has always been good although my personal favourite for several years was the Heavygate (when Ron and Ronnie) had it.

Licensing hours in Walkley are also generally ignored... :D

Archived