Golden Ball pub tragedy

paddyO

Does anyone know about the incident that occured many years ago ,when the landlord John Vincent Nolan,who was my Gt uncle, confronted an intruder, and he ended up shoving the man through the window,and the intruder was subsquently killed.I think it may have been in the years between the wars.

Does anyone know about the incident that occured many years ago ,when the landlord John Vincent Nolan,who was my Gt uncle, confronted an intruder, and he ended up shoving the man through the window,and the intruder was subsquently killed.I think it may have been in the years between the wars.

1911 DIR. has him at the Golden ball, is this him 1925

John Vincent Nolan, grocer, 115 Don Road

Hello 1911 DIR.Yes it is the same John Vincent Nolan,who had the Grocery shop.I am trying to find anything i can about him,as well as the Golden Ball incident which must have occured later.I am in Ireland ,so i would be greatful if anyone could give me any information.Thank you.

• 6 years later...

Just found this web site. I was born in sheffield and my name is John Vincent Nolan. This incident with the Golden Ball I was aware of because he was also my great uncle and I was told that I was named after him. My grandfather was John Patrick Nolan the same as my father. The story i believe is true and he was not convicted for the death.

To Harry 1000,The golden Ball Inn,as it was called in those days is the one on Campo lane near Townhead street,i hope you can be of help.

The Golden Ball was on Townhead St, I used to go in in the sixties, Eadon Lockwood & Riddle did have offices on the site but they moved and I cant say who now occupies the site. The Ball was a lovely old pub and didn't deserve to be demolished.