We're going to Morrocco...

....and we were really excited,until what seems like loads of people,have told us various horror stories :(

Has anyone on SF been?Got any tips for us? We'll be staying in Marrakesh.

Hopefully,i'll get some positive stories,although feel free to pass on further tales of woe :rolleyes:

Cheers guys :D

Just remember its a muslim state, so women and children have to walk behind the man, and the women HAVE to do as they are told at all times :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Ho-hum,it just gets better n better :hihi:

Cant help but wonder if this is why Mr.gnomi wanted to go so much? :suspect:

Many years ago I went to Tunisia and apart from the slightly OTT market traders in the souks found the people there very pleasent, friendly and helpfull. There were some strictures, such as covering up and taking your shoes off before going into a mosque, but not anything that caused any real problems.

Many years ago I went to Tunisia and apart from the slightly OTT market traders in the souks found the people there very pleasent, friendly and helpfull. There were some strictures, such as covering up and taking your shoes off before going into a mosque, but not anything that caused any real problems.

See,im happy to cover up,and dont really mind overzealous traders.I was more interested in the local way of life there,the atlas mountains,the desert,the locally produced brightly coloured rugs etc.My parents used to go in jan every year(without the kids!) so we thought we'd do the same.

Problem is,im scared to go now,based on what some people have said.

:help:

You may be fine and have a wonderful time but in Tangier in '69, we were always told to take a taxi from the town to hotel. We went on trips to markets where there were emaciated animals and then those horrible snakes in the Casbah. A single guy in our hotel even had his taxi ambushed one night.

On arrival at the airport, the first words of the courier were to tell us "we were no longer in Europe and not to expect European honesty - it's a way of life in Africa!"

In Tangier town, there were guys offering services of girls, pulling scams which in 1969 were a bit unnerving. I'm afraid it was a case of looking over your shoulder. Your resort may be fine and tourism has moved on. You may have a great time but do be careful and not too trusting. Certainly watch bags and possessions. We were told of someone who was approached for something, he turned his hands over to indicate he didn't have anything and they snatched his watch from his wrist - I kid you not!

Morocco wasn't for me. I've been to many countries and Morocco, if Tangier was representative, would not be one I'd return to, even on a 'freebie'. Just take care.

I knew a guy years go who ended up living there, purlely for the easily obtainable draw he could get.

He had managed to blag himself an RV as big as single decker bus, with all the luxury fittings, and took it out of the country without paying for it.

The finance people could never track him down, as he was always moving on.

He ended up selling it to a film crew, who were filming a James Bond film out there. They were up in the mountains and had no decent accomodation.

He later returned back home, as he was dying of the big C at the young age of 48.

I dont think they ever got any money from him, and he floated off this mortal coil on cloud nine.

One of the last of the true hippies.

Another thing, never ever pay the asking price for anything.

The first price quoted will be at least double the value.

it is apain in the backside, but you have to argue.

You will usually get whatever it is for at least a quarter of the first price.

i went to marrakesh last summer and absolutely loved it. So much culture, very warm and you're meant to cover up but in touristy areas like marrakesh you won't have a problem, we were in the market areas in shorts and t shirts and noone even took a second glance. Make sure you get lots of souvenirs, there are some beautiful things, very nice (v v cheap) jewellery and loads of pretty things. Ooh and beautiful freshly squeezed orange juice for about 2 dirhams (15p?) If you get a taxi make sure you agree the price before the journey otherwise they charge much more - if you arrange it they are very very cheap. But there are loads of tiny kids selling jewellery which is a bit sad. And monkeys! they make you hold their monkeys and then take a picture and charge you! But the monkeys are so adorable!

Got me all excited reminiscing! Hope you have a great time.

Archived