The old cycle shop Main Street Hackenthorpe

sandie

As a kid in the late 50,s early sixty's Main Street had a Cycle shop which used to sell toys at sixpence each. As our pocket money was a half a crown (2 and six in new money 12 and a half P) we spent 2 bob there and six pence at Helams on the shops, top of Dyke Vale

We also go down to as we called it " The Sewarge" by the slag heaps which streached from Dyke Vale Road to the bottom of Beighton.

Thre was also the wee pond between Dyke Vale Road and the Woodhouse Road, before the new roads were built and the old roman baths on Birly Spar Lane.

Can anyone remember those days.

Dave

did it all pal, although we were metric by the time i was doin' it.

Howard was the cycle shop,uncle of dougie wyer the speedway guy i think.used to live in the first terraced house opposite Peaks

the little pond thats near the sewerage is still there next to the "new" glorified "swamp"

As a kid in the late 50,s early sixty's Main Street had a Cycle shop which used to sell toys at sixpence each. As our pocket money was a half a crown (2 and six in new money 12 and a half P) we spent 2 bob there and six pence at Helams on the shops, top of Dyke Vale

We also go down to as we called it " The Sewarge" by the slag heaps which streached from Dyke Vale Road to the bottom of Beighton.

Thre was also the wee pond between Dyke Vale Road and the Woodhouse Road, before the new roads were built and the old roman baths on Birly Spar Lane.

Can anyone remember those days.

Dave

Howard was a great friend to lots of us kids in the fifties and sixties, I had all my electric trains from him ( still have most of em !! )

It was Elams btw.

Thanks for that Richard 21 spelling was never one of my strong points,

going back to Howards I left Hackenthorpe in 1966 and returned briefly in the early seventies, correct me if I am wrong but I am sure he moved his shop on to the parade that Elams was on and then moved back opposite the Sportsman in the eighty's.

In the late 50's and early sixties he had everything it was the Willson & Gumpett/ Redgates of Hackenthorpe. He was always happy to help even if you were only spending sixpence or 10 bob.

So sad we no longer have this type of place in todays community:thumbsup:

Thanks Dave

Thanks for that Richard 21 spelling was never one of my strong points,

going back to Howards I left Hackenthorpe in 1966 and returned briefly in the early seventies, correct me if I am wrong but I am sure he moved his shop on to the parade that Elams was on and then moved back opposite the Sportsman in the eighty's.

In the late 50's and early sixties he had everything it was the Willson & Gumpett/ Redgates of Hackenthorpe. He was always happy to help even if you were only spending sixpence or 10 bob.

So sad we no longer have this type of place in todays community:thumbsup:

Thanks Dave

Hi Dave

Sorry about being part of spelling police ! it is an affliction but it stems back to school, didn't get the broadest education in the world but what we did get was fairly good and knuckle rapping for poor spelling was pretty effective too !!.

Also Mr Elam was, I always found, a real gentleman and I had the highest regard for him and his wife who was just as nice.

I forgot all about Howards shop, yes he did move onto the Birley Spa Lane shops and then back to Main Street again. It was an Alladins cave wasn't it? Fantastic place, can you still smell it ? All the old bike shops had a distictive smell, rubber and adhesives, paraffin & etc. Probably be drummed out of existance today by the Health and Safety loonies !! :D:D

he he he he

Hi awdlad yes I can remember Sythe & Sickle works and I think it was later taken over by Spear and Jackson in the early 70's , as I remember it was at the end of Main Street back to the Old Blue Bell on the opposite side.

The front gates were directly opposite the old village Post Office. Ihope this is the works that you remember but you have to remember it was over 40 years ago.

Regards Dave

Richard/21

Hi thanks for the reply you have got it so right Howards shop had that unique smell of rubber and puncture repair kits. As a 10 year old kid I could spend hours deciding how to spend my pocket money all of 2 & 6 or half a crown and nobody would ask why are you spending so much time.

We as kids would then be outside the shop showing each other what we had got and more often than not swap items. No agro, no antisocial behaviour just kids having a good time with simple toys.

It is so sad that that our children cannot have the values we enjoyed and the total freedom to be individuals, without the fear of other people.

I am so privelaged to have been a child in those days to be able to use your imagination and invent our own simple games and pastimes

PS spelling is not my strong point, But engineering is my game

Regards Dave

Hi awdlad yes I can remember Sythe & Sickle works and I think it was later taken over by Spear and Jackson in the early 70's , as I remember it was at the end of Main Street back to the Old Blue Bell on the opposite side.

The front gates were directly opposite the old village Post Office. Ihope this is the works that you remember but you have to remember it was over 40 years ago.

Regards Dave

That was the one Dave, it used to be Staniforths before S&J bought it, it also had a fishing pond inside the top gates.

While we are on, how about Keetons shop, and the Coop that was opposite the cricket ground?

Archived