The old cycle shop Main Street Hackenthorpe

sandie

I lived in Hackenthorpe most of my life until about 5 years ago but am still down that end pretty often.

Used to go to Howards in the late seventies and early eighties for bike parts fishing gear and bait and air rifle pellets for shooting down the back fields he was a brilliant bloke always freindly and always happy to help you out does anyone remember Craig the prince fan who used to work there.

I spent lots of time in Howards in the 80s when I was a beighton wheeler, as Howard had involements with the wheelers. Craig Drummend was the fella who worked there, he built me many a wheel. Also rode many miles with Craig and the lads back then, he was a pretty good cyclist. Think he went to work in James cycles in Chesterfield after he left there.

I live in Hackenthorpe now but am from the south so don't know any of the people you mention apart from the Wyers who live on Brook Lane now, I think? Howard's Cycle Shop closed just after I came to the village and it is a carpet shop now.

Someone who knows I live in Hackenthorpe has asked me where Carter's Yard was? I have no idea.

They think that it was in Hackenthorpe but it could have been over towards Beighton way?

Chyanteg

Carters Yard was indeed in Beighton...... give me a while and I will tell you the exact place.;)

Carters Yard was/is just off High Street, near to the junction with School Rd

• 6 months later...

I remember Howards Cycle shop well, late 60s on Main Street then it moved to t'top shops. Used to take me bike in to get the wheels "trued up" as owd Howard used to call it. I remember his face, full of old Sheffield character, his blue overalls, the smell of parafin, rubber and glue. Always found something to spend my sixpence on in that shop. Lovely memories.

• 9 months later...

We moved to Hackenthorpe in 1953. Although I was very young I remember that before Howard moved into the big shop on Main Street, he worked in a small hut across the road. It was between what are now The Blue Bell and The Sprtsman. At that time the Sportsman wasn't built and (I think) The Blue Bell was still in it's original old building.

I can remember when I got my bike from Howard (see earlier post) my mate Paul Norton arranged for us to go on a ride with them.

So we set off on Sunday morning. Me on my "Sun Mass Start 100" which I am sure was made from soild lead compared to the Reynolds 531 tubed "jackson's" "Holdsworth's" "Claud Butlers" & "Coventry Eagle's" that every body else was riding.

I said where are we going then? Gainsborough was the reply. Oh where's that, not far they said.

Needless to say the guys helped me along. On the hills I couldnt get up, they took it in turns to ride along side me and push me along. Thank you Mick Fleer!!

I got back absolutely knackered. I had two days off school because I was unable to walk or sit down. The furthest I had been on a bike prior to this was Woodhouse!

I did persevere though and enjoyed several outings with the wheelers to the cyclist's cafe at Blyth & The Pewitt cafe.

I can remember the meetings took place in a side room at Howards shop on Main Street and a pub on Beighton Bottom near the old cinema. Both long gone.

Can i just say didn't Howard have the most amazing nose. I know you shouldnt comment on peoples looks but that nose fascinated me as a kid. It was big and red and dinted. I can see his face now clear as day. I wonder if he was once a Boxer?

Beighton Wheelers- the star rider in the mid 50s was Mick Bennett who used to win local 25 mile time trials. I bought an old frame from him made by Baines of Bradford.It had a very steep (c, 80deg) seat tube and short chainstays.

Reading this has brought back so many memories for me! I grew up in Beighton but remember all the places here you talk about! It was Ellis's farm across from the Fox at Beighton. I remember the cows being just behind the big doors as you walked past. The big house on Drakehouse lane was 'Drakehouse' (not the original one) where Mr and Mrs Tomlinson lived. I went there once with their grandson, Paul who also lived at Beighton. Thanks

June Lambert

• 2 months later...

Ey up Howardonians

Remember Howard!? not hayf,,, I used to be in there every week during the 70's,,back then I could ride allt way up Silkston rooad wii no no ands ont bars, I still have that smell of the shop imprinted in my brain, what a tearfull shame it just went!!! I can remember Craig Drummond starting to work for him, he was the DJ int Birley otel for years into the 80's. He now is a bit of a gaffer at James cycles nowadays.

Eneeway? is Beighton wheelers still gooooin? any contact details would be andy.

Cheers

Paul

Archived