Gleadless County School / Manor Library

JohnJay

Gleadless County School / Manor Library.

My sister went to this school about 10 years after yourselves. We lived at the time in Crossland Drive but that's enough about her.

Reading through the posts on this thread I noticed two names I recognised.

1. Gary Wells.

Gary lived at nr.1, Crossland Place in the Vic Hallam houses, and he played at times football with us lot in Hollinsend Park on Sundays. He was also on the odd occasion my pal of the day which must have pleased him no end. I think he was an only child.

2. Della Freeston.

Della who's real name was Doris (I think) lived at 924 Gleadless Road opposite but just past the long row of shops. Elam's, Lewis's, George's, National Westminster Bank, Pauline's Hairdressers etc. Della had long black hair and she wasn't afraid to speak her mind. She'll be about 58 now and I last saw her about 1972 and she looked fab in her tight black jeans. Yes I fancied her!

3. The only connection I ever had with Manor Library was the time I haif inched a couple of spanners out of someone's spanner pouch (bag) on their bicycle. Huh![/quote

My connection with Manor library is a very painful one.

Around bonfire day in about 1955 I was returning my latest Biggles by W E Johns when I was stopped outside the rear kids entrance by the Browns.

Now the Browns were good fieghters who lived on the Manor and where to be feared by all the Prince Edward kids at that time especially their Violet who married a vicar.

The Browns were mob handed that day and Violet was accompanied by their Sid and their Killer [self descriptive:mad:]

Any way they decided that I under threat of being beat to a pulp would have to set of a jumping jack fire work in the Manor Library just to liven up all them quiet types that the Browns were not fond on.

The jumping Jack was thrust into my trembling hand and lit .

As fast as lightening I chucked it through the door and run towards the Manor Top dropping Biggles in he library doorway.

The next morning in Assembly at the Prince Edward School school of pain and suffering I was summoned to the stage by Mr Thomas the headmaster and after telling all assembled what a complete and utter crap bag I was I was given the cane on both hands to loud cheers from the assembled inc Violet Brown.

When I got back to my class room holding my swelling fingers the wonderful

teacher Gratton decided just to teach me a lesson and that he would give me two more whacks with his best cane just to be going on with and I never showed him that it hurt one bit the busterd!

I never read Biggles again and will hate Gratton until my dieing day but still love Violet Brown who now lives in Canada with a parson.

• 3 weeks later...

I was at this school between 1946 and 1951 and spent the last 2 years in Mr

Iosson's class. As before stated he was a teacher to remember who liked his

work. I remember when the class got restless or inatentive he would break off

and give us a game of "O Grady" or tell us a funny story and then we'd all

settle down and get on with our work. Mr Spir was headmaster and other

members of staff were Mrs Mottershaw, Miss Abrahams and Mr Bradley, the

music teacher. Felow pupils I remember..........Joyce Kilsby, Ann Spotswood,

Judith Tyler, Ian Helliwell, Shirley Shaw, Roland Ellis and Sandra Hurley.

Where are they now I wonder.

---------- Post added 22-12-2013 at 18:00 ----------

I was at this school between 1946 and 1951 and spent the last 2 years in Mr

Iosson's class. As before stated he was a teacher to remember who liked his

work. I remember when the class got restless or inatentive he would break off

and give us a game of "O Grady" or tell us a funny story and then we'd all

settle down and get on with our work. Mr Spir was headmaster and other

members of staff were Mrs Mottershaw, Miss Abrahams and Mr Bradley, the

music teacher. Felow pupils I remember..........Joyce Kilsby, Ann Spotswood,

Judith Tyler, Ian Helliwell, Shirley Shaw, Roland Ellis and Sandra Hurley.

Where are they now I wonder.

Archived