Who remembers "Compo For Colds"

paddyO

Does any one remember this fine product, my parents used to put me a tea-spoonful in a cup of tea in winter time,it certainly warmed your insides up it was like fire going down .Pitmen (miners) used it a lot to help keep down pleurisy and other respiritory illneses. Who used to make it? i think it may have been Stotherts.Does any one have the "recipe".I once asked a herbalist shop in Donny who used to sell it, but he said he hadnt seen it for years. Im pretty sure it had cloves ,coltsfoot&cinnamon in it.

Does any one remember this fine product, my parents used to put me a tea-spoonful in a cup of tea in winter time,it certainly warmed your insides up it was like fire going down .Pitmen (miners) used it a lot to help keep down pleurisy and other respiritory illneses. Who used to make it? i think it may have been Stotherts.Does any one have the "recipe".I once asked a herbalist shop in Donny who used to sell it, but he said he hadnt seen it for years. Im pretty sure it had cloves ,coltsfoot&cinnamon in it.

Never heard of it paddy.Could do with some of that in Winter time.

• 8 years later...
Think the product was called Kompo... :)
Yes - here's a picture.
...Love to get the recipe :)
According to this web page (scroll downto Page 7) it contained "over 6% alcohol, with small quantities of cloves, cinnamon, caustic soda, eucalyptus gum and salicylic acid". Apart from the caustic soda it sounds like a good formula - especially the alcohol. I remember my dad's cold remedy - three double whiskies (it doesn't cure the cold, just makes you so sozzled you don't care)..:P

My grandfathers remedy was a triple of Teachers (why waste good stuff when your nose is bunged up) mixed with...

teaspoon of honey

drop of clove oil

2 drops of peppermint oil

warmed till the honey has melted in.

Used to chase down an aspirin or two.

Doesnt sound that dissimilar to Compo's to me...

• 5 years later...

I remember Compo/Kompo as a child  (born 1940)

I remember at infant school where I started (Swallownest) each day a small bottle of milk and a spoonful of cod liver oil

My cure for the past many, many, years is a Hot Toddy - large whiskey with a small amount of hot water. Can add bit of sugar or honey if preferred

Best Wishes - Victor - Hot and Sunny Malaysia - 10-10am and 91 degrees increasing