English Institute Of Sport

chris63

Hi, I'm the young referee with spikey blonde hair.

I'm keen to hear what areas you believe I need training in. I think that a lot of the misunderstandings can come about from Yuko-Wazarri calls and from failed Sutemi-waza.

There were a number of calls between Wazarri and Yuko made at the weekend, where a player lands on their side. No matter how impressive, technical, forceful or controlled a throw the maximum score that can be given against a player who lands on their side is a Yuko, there is no exception to this. At a grading this is unfortunate because Yuko is not scored.

With Sutemi-Waza, a player who sacrifices himself and does not succeed in throwing his opponent will only conceed a score if his opponent clearly takes control, in the form of an attack. This is also true where a player falls over accidentally.

I am more than willing to explain the reasoning behind the decisions to players and coaches if they ask, I would infact encourage people to do this so that they may better understand the subtle interpretations of the rule book. However no one approached me at the EIS grading.

If they dont sort something they will be no judo at the venue in the future, in some ways the waiting on Sunday was farcical I heard pleantly of people including myself saying they would not attend another grading at this venue, which is a pitty as its a fantastic venue that is cleary not used to its potential, the finger of blame for this has to point directly at the managemnt team of the venue, no suprises there I guess.

:o

It's an amazing venue, I agree. :)

I do taekwondo there and while we don't have an official tkd room we often use the combat hall or the judo space, both of which are great! I think sports clubs and societies need to be advertised more outside the centre itself though since most of my friends have never even heard of the Institute of Sport!

I cant belive a venue like EIS is not booked up and used to its full potential who runs the place, they cleary have no idea what they are doing, it should be well used what a waste a shame, I would love to practice in such a venue, I would suggest someone in a suit is doing Sheffeild a very bad job and selling your great city well short, P45'S SHOULD BE ISSUED:D

hey all,

Can anyone tell me how you would go about booking this venue? Can any organization just book it out? if so what are the costs? Or do you have to be connected to the EIS?

It is a waste that this place is not used all the time.

cheers

Archived