English Institute Of Sport

chris63

If they dont sort something they will be no judo at the venue in the future, in some ways the waiting on Sunday was farcical I heard pleantly of people including myself saying they would not attend another grading at this venue, which is a pitty as its a fantastic venue that is cleary not used to its potential, the finger of blame for this has to point directly at the managemnt team of the venue, no suprises there I guess.

:o

Judo's always been like that, when I was competing/grading in 1990's the gradings were a nightmare, especailly when going for the Dan Grade, the best venues were St Helens and Wolverhampton. Waiting around was the worst part

Not very organised.

Making a comeback into Judo (trying too) which is the best venue for Randori training these days?

St Helens events are well attended, 4 mat areas. Still lots of waiting!

I'm told the EIS has turned a bit 'fight night', so if randori is what you want, go there (monday evenings).

Wednesday session at sheffield judo (grimesthorpe) has some big guys.

Then there is the Sheffield uni club on tues/thurs evening

How much training do you want to do? ;)

St Helens events are well attended, 4 mat areas. Still lots of waiting!

I'm told the EIS has turned a bit 'fight night', so if randori is what you want, go there (monday evenings).

Wednesday session at sheffield judo (grimesthorpe) has some big guys.

Then there is the Sheffield uni club on tues/thurs evening

How much training do you want to do? ;)

Probably about once a week, just want to get fit again, lose some weight so a Randori session is best.

What times the uni sessions?

What times the uni sessions?

tues & thurs, 8-10.

generally the tuesday session for folks that have done a bit before - ie. dont want to be worrying too much if they can fall, dont spend much time on basic technique.

If it's been a while, join in on a thursday sesh, see how you get on then decide if fancy the tuesday.

its a crime and the suits that run it should get the boot:loopy:

How can you finish like that when you start the Thread with "I attended a judo event at the above venue for the first time yeterday wow what a place are all the soprting venues in the City of the same calibre. top marks to the steel city I think I might move"

You've had a dig at Starch when he's offering advice and dialogue, and blame the management for NOT keeping 4 mats in the area. Could you not question the other way and ask why they got rid of two mats? Was it a case that the demand for Judo was less than that of Snooker?

Help by looking at the bigger picture. Contact the venue by letter and raise your concerns that way; with feedback future events can be planned more carefully. How can the management of EIS have any control over the format for the event? As quoted by dafoot "This weekends event was a little oversubscribed, it took the organisers by suprise" - query the organisers and not the location.

Enjoy the sport, but look at the bigger picture before the finger of blame is used!

• 2 weeks later...
Hi, I'm the young referee with spikey blonde hair.

I'm keen to hear what areas you believe I need training in. I think that a lot of the misunderstandings can come about from Yuko-Wazarri calls and from failed Sutemi-waza.

There were a number of calls between Wazarri and Yuko made at the weekend, where a player lands on their side. No matter how impressive, technical, forceful or controlled a throw the maximum score that can be given against a player who lands on their side is a Yuko, there is no exception to this. At a grading this is unfortunate because Yuko is not scored.

With Sutemi-Waza, a player who sacrifices himself and does not succeed in throwing his opponent will only conceed a score if his opponent clearly takes control, in the form of an attack. This is also true where a player falls over accidentally.

I am more than willing to explain the reasoning behind the decisions to players and coaches if they ask, I would infact encourage people to do this so that they may better understand the subtle interpretations of the rule book. However no one approached me at the EIS grading.

Good counter Starchie. I see you argue like you fight.

Archived