Anyone remember Tyler's Tobacconists on Snig Hill?

classicfan

My late mother was Edith Tyler's daughter and Fred Tyler's niece. She used to work in a shop they had on Lady's Bridge, which closed when the firm folded up in the 1960's. It was derelict for many years but was converted to another use about ten yers ago. I can give more if anyone is interested.

Classicfan: Thanks for your private message. I can't reply yet because the rules won't let me until I've had five posts here and this is only my second. But it appears that your wife and I are blood-related, altho' it's too late at night for me to try to work out exactly what the relationship is. Perhaps half-cousin or something like that.

Any suggestions for a way forward?

• 10 months later...

I have just come across this forum after typing "Tyler tobacconist" in on Google because my wife is related directly to the family. Her great great grandfather wasthe founder of the company in Nottingham and is in possession of a letter from Tom to his brother Harry (my wife's great grandfather) bearing Snig Hill's address on it. We hope this info is of interest to some of you.

Wondering if any forummers can remeber this, my wife is doing the family tree and we know they had a premise at 50 Snig Hill, one on Ellesmere Road and another one somewhere else in the 1930 - 40's. Picked this info up from the Kelly's Business Directory at the library, but no other info available. Any help appreciated.

There is a photo in Picture Sheffield 's13235' or type in Tyler

• 1 month later...
My late mother was Edith Tyler's daughter and Fred Tyler's niece. She used to work in a shop they had on Lady's Bridge, which closed when the firm folded up in the 1960's. It was derelict for many years but was converted to another use about ten yers ago. I can give more if anyone is interested.

Having recently found this forum.I thought you might be interested that my wife is Harry Tyler's gt. granddaughter.Harry is Tom Tyler's brother & we have a letter between the brothers.

Archived