Golf Club Memberships in South Yorks

crisp1

I am looking to join a golf course in the Sheffield area and just wondering if anybody knows of membership/ joining fee prices of;.

Hillsbough

Dore and Totley

Abbeydale

Grange Park

Hallamshire

Phoenix,

Renishaw Park,

Rother Valley

???

Or any others of similar standard

I’ve had a look through most of the website however there does nt seem to be much info on Membership prices.

Cheers

I am looking to join a golf course in the Sheffield area and just wondering if anybody knows of membership/ joining fee prices of;.

Hillsbough

Dore and Totley

Abbeydale

Grange Park

Hallamshire

Phoenix,

Renishaw Park,

Rother Valley

???

Or any others of similar standard

I’ve had a look through most of the website however there does nt seem to be much info on Membership prices.

Cheers

Firstly the standard between some of the courses listed above differs wildly. Rother Valley and Grange Park are Municipals (no membership required to play), and will undoubtedly be of a 'lesser' quality than the others, (although Grange is a good course IMO, and during the summer is in quite good nick - suffers from waterlogging in Autumn/Winter).

I've been a member at both Renishaw and Abbeydale, but this was many years ago. I believe Abbeydale is one of the most expensive in Sheffield, with yearly fees of £1,500 for a full membership, but bear in mind you usually pay double at any private club in the first year (a 'joining' fee).

Many private golf clubs still retain an air of what I would call 'snobbishness'. So joining usually requires an existing member to 'second' you. If there is no waiting list you may then be asked for an interview, and occassionally they will ask to see you play (a certain standard of golfer required!).

However if there is no waiting list and the club has been shedding members then all this protocol maybe be bypassed just to get your money in the door.

By far the best approach to the private clubs is to write an appropriate polite letter, addressed to the club secretary, requesting joining details and availability.

A quick phone call to the Muni's will do to find out their membership fees, and then it's usually just a form to fill out.

PS - I'm a member of Bondhay, and it's c£450 per year for a 5 day (Mon - Fri) membership. But Bondhay is a little way out - going out towards Whitwell.

Thanks for your help very much appreciated!!!!!

However I thought there might be a few golf club members on the forum that could help with my query....

I'm a member at Hallamshire - its about £950/year and the joining fee is around £1500 I believe. With most private clubs, if your handicap is around 1 or better, you'll get in quite quickly. Abbeydale is about £1300 plus the joining fee. Hillsborough is about £600 plus joining fee I think. Good luck !

Thanks For The Reply,

Thats A Bit Pricey For Me At The Moment, I Ve Got A Budget Of Around 500 Per Year, And Preferably Without A Joining Fee.

So I Will Probably Look At Joining A Municiple To The Time Being.

Cheers

Thanks For The Reply,

Thats A Bit Pricey For Me At The Moment, I Ve Got A Budget Of Around 500 Per Year, And Preferably Without A Joining Fee.

So I Will Probably Look At Joining A Municiple To The Time Being.

Cheers

I think you can join all of the munis and the council gyms and pools all in one go for a monthly fee of £40 or so.

generally speaking most private members golf clubs in sheffield will cost you between £1000 and £1800 on your first year to join. grange park i believe is heading in a semi private capacity or so the members tell me, depends where you live in sheffield as to what course wouuld suit you and also what sort of game you play

Of all the Munis in the area I think Grange is possible the best. Crookhill Park is maybe slightly better but it's near Donny (Conisborough) and so might be a bit too far out for you.

As I said previously, Grange suffers quite badly from waterlogging, or at least it did when I last played it about 3 yrs ago, so you might struggle to play full rounds at this time of year.

Archived