Example menus for exclusively vegan cafe / restaurant in sheffield...?

Catt

Sounds lovely.

I'm veggie but I'm fed up with veggie = has to be smothered in melted cheese. Lovely crisp fresh ingredients gets a thumbs up from me. :thumbsup:

The nicest place that's opened in ages is the Bohemian but it's not in town so a lovely place like this in town a bit bigger and slightly more upmarket would be great. (Not that I'm knocking the Bohemian - I love it there!)

I don't mind veggie food as I love cheese, but vegan would not be for me. I could order one, then sneakily open a tin of stewed steak under the table and dollop it liberally over the dish.

Lol...I understand... but i bet i could make you a dish you'd like....dont knock it till you've tried it...;-)

I would love to see an exclusively vegan place opening in Sheffield. However, i think JoeP might have a point about including some vegetarian but non-vegan dishes on your menu too.

I am vegan and am happy knocking around in the kitchen, so i know that vegan food doesn't have to equal bland, but that seems to be the received wisdom out there (not helped by the generally rubbish vegan options on cafe/restaurant menus on the rare occasions they exist). To keep your business going and sucessful, you've got to compete against this perception of vegan food as well as against other cafes, so a limited number of lacto-ovo vegetarian options too might help to get a few more people through the doors in the first place - then you can wow them with some vegan specialities!

There's a cafe down in that London called Eat & Two Veg that i think does the veggie choices/veggie choices that can be made vegan/vegan choices menu pretty well. Their menu is on their website http://www.eatandtwoveg.com.

Good luck with it.

Oh, and maybe think about gluten-free options too!

It sounds like your menu is likely to be quite similar to Kumquat Mae- which is no bad thing. We've had unofficial meal meets at Kumquat Mae even though there are only a couple of veggies in the group- if you can be imaginative enough to share veggie and vegan food with meat eaters then you'll do well.

Try searching Greens restaurant in Manchester on the old tinternet, they have a great reputation for exciting vegie and vegan food, you may be able to compare ideas or something.

A friend of mine swears by it, however being a die hard meat eater, I have never been.

Personally I don't think the vegan diet gives enough scope to support an exclusively vegan cafe/restaurant.

For years I wanted to open a vegetarian place that didn't push it's message, by labelling a restaurant vegetarian you alienate a lot of people and even more so by making it obvioulsy vegan.

I do believe that a vegetarian place could get away with it and be a genuinely good place to go but I have tried really hard with vegan meals and just can't get it to taste good enough for people to go wow.

Good luck.

Personally I'd:

Not make it very wholefoody, people can eat healthily at home.

Keep it cheap and tasty, and maybe have weekly gourmet nights or theme nights.

Do some taste testing of hot drinks with different soya/rice milks because while vegan savoury meals and cakes can delight anyone people are often phased by a different flavour in their tea & coffee.

There are loads of vegans in Sheff and they’ll be right behind you.

:thumbsup:

Archived