Well Done That Man, Pensioner Tackles Four Muggers

No they couldn't. Not here nor in Germany. He sounds well within the realms of reasonable self-defence to me.

Had he gone looking for them later on with his mates and beaten them with a baseball bat, it may have been a bit different. But he didn't.

I am afraid your knowledge of the law is limited. The CPC have enough evidence here to make a case in favour of the four muggers and take legal action against this man regardless of his age which is irrelevant by the way.

I am afraid your knowledge of the law is limited. The CPC have enough evidence here to make a case in favour of the four muggers and take legal action against this man regardless of his age which is irrelevant by the way.

So you're now saying self defence is illegal?

Going to provide a link? :suspect:

70-year-old ex-SAS soldier dares to tackle four muggers and wins

A 70-year-old former British soldier who fought guerillas in Aden and Triad gangs in Hong Kong showed four muggers how it doesn't pay to mess with the SAS.

Douglas O'Dell is past retirement age but the moves he learned as a volunteer in Britain's toughest regiment half-a-century ago stood him in good stead when he was ambushed near his home in Bielefeld, Germany, by four local toughs.

The former Provost Sergeant put paid to the danger on the street like he once took out bandits in hotspots across the globe.

Police in Bielefeld are still looking for his attackers.

But a spokesman said: "He had everything under control. These guys picked the wrong guy on the wrong night."

Link :)

I can quite imagine a totally different outcome if this had happened in the UK.

How different do you think the outcome would be in the UK? Do you think that his attackers would seek compensation? They don't, the coppers turn a blind eye every day to thugs taking a beating in the streets... A Sheffield copper once told me that they find one or two every day round here having picked on the wrong person...

You are missing the point, he committed an aggressive act which could be contrieved as going over the top in belting out at the four muggers. Forget his age this as nothing to do with it and is only there to sell newspapers. The point is he has got away with it this time.

Archived