Motorbikes - Do you remember your first one?

My first bike was an Ariel 350, then a BSA 500 twin, then a BSA 650 twin, then a Norton ES2, finally a Royal Enfield 750 twin.Then at my wife's insistance a Ford Popular,

Prob' like me its hard to fit three kids on back of a Royal enfield and changing the nappie's at anything above 60 can be quite a chore,mind you my wife as done from the back seat with the babys in the single side car:hihi::hihi::hihi:

In 1955 I was sixteen, and like many other sixteen year old lads, I was old enough to ride a motorbike..Just about then my Brother in law was just about to upgrade his steed to a Matchless 350 and he offered me his old bike for the sum of five pounds..in my Post Office account I had just the right amount to buy it....So I became the proud owner of a 1932 Francis Barnett Cruiser (my first motorbike)..I've owned many other superior bikes since then but none of them had the Magic of my Fanny Barnett...

Question....what was the first motorcycle that you owned?.

I was born 1938..My first bike was a BSA 500cc. B33? cant remember model. Spring heel and telescopic forks..Big banger engine with lots of torque..Remember the manual advance and retard and the almighty kickback when starting..Learnt from experience how to start it without breaking my leg..First run out to the Peacock at Owlerbar..Up at 6 am and out on the road. Ran it out on the grass coming up the hill to Holmesfield..But managed to stay on..Those were the days. Many bikes since..My last one in 1990 ...Honda 1000cc six cylinder supersport..What a superb touring bike,,heavy as hell though..Regards Pjkay

• 2 months later...
In 1955 I was sixteen, and like many other sixteen year old lads, I was old enough to ride a motorbike..Just about then my Brother in law was just about to upgrade his steed to a Matchless 350 and he offered me his old bike for the sum of five pounds..in my Post Office account I had just the right amount to buy it....So I became the proud owner of a 1932 Francis Barnett Cruiser (my first motorbike)..I've owned many other superior bikes since then but none of them had the Magic of my Fanny Barnett...

Mine in 1965 was a 98cc Excelsior Consort with a villiers engine, it had 2 positive stop gears (no spring return to center for the gearchange pedal) up was 1st all the way down was second gear, and middle was neutral, it was supposed to be £12.50 but as it wouldn`t start I knocked him down to £9.50 pushed it home and my dad got it going, at the time I thought it was great but looking back I know it was not, but it holds great memories. My best bike by far was a 1966 Vellocette Venom Clubman 500cc, just fantastic !! I sold it about 1969 for £250 a good price then, they go for £10,000 in good order now !!!! I have recently got a 1962 AJS 650cc model 31 in really nice nick.

Yes Mine was a BSA 500cc B something or other..Too big really bit I managed it. Could hardly start it as I was not so big.. Went out into Derbyshire at sparrow fart..Couldn't wait.. Just a few laps in a field before that on a Triumph 350 twin..

Left the road once, but on the grass luckily and did not fall off..Great days..

my first bike was a Francis-Barnett falcon53 from Grays on Bridge St,they delivered it on a friday night and I kicked the starting pedal whilst Sunday dinner and couldnt get it started,we had tears and tantrums till my mate came and said it needs petrol to get it running,I felt such a dope,had 30-40 since including a tiger 100 off pjkay,yes Pete it was a good bike,never stopped riding since 1958 and got a Harley now,people ask me when Im gonna grow up so I say What and look like you,no chance,biking keeps you young if you ride sensibly.

Never even having ridden a pushbike I went straight onto a Yammy FZ100 at the ripe old age of 35. Had a fling with a shiny new DNEPR and sidecar and then passed my test and got a Kawasaki 600 and now have a 500cc custom which hasn't been out of the garage for 2yrs poor thing. Its just too easy to climb into a skirt and then into the car of a morning ........

Archived