Motorbikes - Do you remember your first one?

Originally posted by Alanbro

I had a Matchless 250, I bought it with me winnings on the draw at Spear and Jackson. I used to use it for work. I didn't go very far on it. There was a lot less traffic on the roads at that time. I don't know whether I'd want to risk it anymore, there are so many silly buggers on the road these days. I used to go to Castleton on it. When I met me wife I couldn't get her near it. She used to say "You'll not get me on one of those things!"

I suppose she had a point. I never passed me test on a motorbike, but I enjoyed the wind in my face even though it was short lived. Speaking about Spear and Jacksons, does anybody remember Workers Playtime. They put a big marquee up. I think that was in the bicentenary year 1960. We all got a big box of chocolates on a Sanen wood tray.

my wife work there got one of those trays dark colour

with a spear in the middle through it out about two month ago

all the best

• 3 months later...

It was in 1958 and the bike was a BSA Bantam. I went to work on it during the week and camping in Derbyshire at weekends. It was slow and noisy, but it got me around for a year or so. I remember having to get off and help it up the hill from Matlock to Riber Castle one time

Tony

way back in 1961 my cousin married eric,he had an ajs 500,they got a cottage out near dunham bridge and on school holidays eric would come over and pick me up to spend a week with them, at my moms funeral 7 years ago we were chatting about the old days and he told me he still has the bike, runs it round the village every sunday,.its got to be over 50 years old as it was second hand when he bought it, thats when bikes were bikes

My first bike , back in 1989 was a Yamaha DT100. I bought it from a friend of a friend for £150, it used to stop in the rain because the non standard front mudguard didn't stop the front wheel spraying water on the spark plug.!

After I had a Honda CG125, Honda CB250N, Suzuki GSX250, Gpz600R.

Due to some reminiscences a year or 2 ago you can see pics of them on this little web site ->

http://www.rocknroll.f9.co.uk/motor/motorcy5.htm

thinking of getting a 600 fazer or cagiva 650 next year

I don't really like the modern bikes they seem to be mostly 'nice and plastic', the older bikes were so much better looking. Loved the Norton commando but not when the kick start kicked back and hit the back of your calf. My favorite though would be a panther, no ground clearance but such a nice noise and it didn't matter whether you were going up hill down hill or on the flat it had the same noise, distinctive I think you'd call it.

Guest costessey

After graduating from Lambrettas and Vespas, swopped sides and got a Moto Morini 3 1/2 sport..... beautiful looking bike, but slow and unreliable!!

Archived