Motorbikes - Do you remember your first one?

My first bike was an Ariel 350 back in 1953 so that I could get home on week end leave from the Navy. It had no pillion, and the current girl friend had to ride home from the City Hall on a rack over the rigid rear wheel. We split up over it. The next girl friend enjoyed the luxury of a BSA 500 twin with a pillion. I married her. WE had a Norton ES2 with a sidecar, then a Norton Dominator 750. Finally, we bought a Royal Enfield 750 CC twin, which for some unexplained reason brought on a pregnancy, and by necessity a Ford Anglia. I visit a biker bar here with scads of Harleys , no two of them identical, parked outside. Occasionally, a British bike will show up,, and I'll be offered a ride. Not the new ones, since they look like all the rice burners That are the curse of the Interstates. Harley riders like old British bikes, and hate rice burners probably because they're a lot faster, a lot quieter, and things don't vibrate off them. Sorry, Harleyman.

Wonder if it was mine was it GVT ***D?

I can't remember the reg, but that one doesn't ring any bells. I think the original owner (I bought it used) was Tommy Sayles who lived at a grocers shop on Grammar St. Walkley. As I said, it had the Amal GP carbs without air cleaners, wouldn't run properly on less than 5 star petrol.

• 5 months later...

Archived