Motorbikes - Do you remember your first one?

My first was a little Italian scooter, can't even remember the name of it. Then went to a Suzuki 125 that I bought from a wreckers yard and fixed up. Then a Norton Electra 400 twin.

Then it was a Yamaha 400 single thumper trail bike, kicked like a mule, then a Suzuki 750 4 cylinder road bike. Well into my 60's now and I'm afraid to say it on this forum but it's a 1340 cc Milwaukee iron, Fat Boy for the road, and a Suzuki 400 trail bike for the desert.

My first motorbike was an Excelsior Talisman twin. It didn't like the Derbyshire hills very much, especially when there was pillion passenger, It had a nasty habit of 'short stroking' - just firing on one cylinder instead of two. It usually happened when I was trying to pass something. I was a real loser when it came to choosing bikes. My next one was a Douglas Dragonfly ... but that's another story. It had the wierdest front forks that I've ever seen. I eventually saw the light and bought a 'Matchbox' Great days !

• 2 months later...
Well, when you are trying to get to work in the dark on a cold winters morning, the last thing you would be intereted in was whether there was any oil on the side of the barrels :)

but seriously, we are only talking about drying the barrels, as soon as the engine fires , if it was a two stroke the barrels would be re-oiled. If a four stroke, its only the crank side of the barrles that are oiled anyway. The scraper ring keeps the oil out of the combustiion chamber. Unless the engines worn of course, thats when you get a smoky exhaust.

You also need to dry the plugs too, I just held a match under them to burn the fuel/oil off.

The starting problems were mainly with the 2 strokes like the bantam where oil is mixed with the fuel. In winter time the oil in the fuel makes it "heavier" and harder to ignite. Four strokes suffered less.

I bet you will never forget the accelerated " Phoooot " noise when the ballistic ejection from aforementioned spark plug hole burned half of yer * moustache off ?

* a seventies thing...........

Studying a two stoke very carefully I for one dont think they will ever work I'm sure they will die out very fast,now that was before my N.S.U prima the wife and I toured half of U.K on one

I remember my first one bike was a Vespa scooter and one Saturday afternoon my hubby said after couple hrs training id b ok to go visiting my moms ..I lived at Ecclesall then and had to travel to Parson Cross..

Thought this was great as not that much traffic about until i got to Hillsborough and found all the crowds ..it was the match! people were dashing and walking about all over the place and in front of me..the stopping and starting..point of contact..nightmare ..i remember thinking they dont know how lucky they are..i certainly learnt quick ha..

. . Well into my 60's now and I'm afraid to say it on this forum but it's a 1340 cc Milwaukee iron, Fat Boy for the road, and a Suzuki 400 trail bike for the desert.

Far too many people think in later life us oldies sit in front of the telly all day....we don't......i too am in my 60's and i ride a Honda Goldwing GL 1200 4 cylinder,..and also have a Goldwing GL1500 with the six cylinder engine

...life begins at 60..:hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi:

KGrHqQOKigE300ThsNBOEzDFzWOg_3-2.jpg

It was an Ariel Arrow 250cc 2 stroke twin in 1964, handled so well you could take an S bend (theoretically!) with hands off the bars. Its sister, the "Leader" with the screen and legshields was used by the police.

I had a leader and a C15, a 'fizzy' and a BSA 500, all peed oil but had great fun on them.:hihi:

My first bike was a Matchless 500 single,a real bike for a 16year old.

I had to have a ladder to mount it(kidding)

It had jampot suspension and it was a swine to corner but i had some real good outings with my mates.

If anyone else reflects,it had a valve lifter and you had to get it right otherwise you went over the bars.

Archived