Motorbikes - Do you remember your first one?

On the subject of two strokes, my mate had a scott squirrel.

I never realised it was a two strke until he came back from his second test.

He told me how clever he was in taking his test in Rotherham, (it was easier he thought).

When he fired up to start the test , he set off and it went in reverse and the poor sod failed a second time!

Sothfork.

Bsa Bantam D14/4 S purchased from pollards in dinnington spring of 1977. Blew the crankcase halves apart trying to keep pace with a suzuki GT250 ram air at 65mph coming back from mabelthorpe. Finished the trip in the back of the old mans camping trailer

Bsa Bantam D14/4 S purchased from pollards in dinnington spring of 1977. Blew the crankcase halves apart trying to keep pace with a suzuki GT250 ram air at 65mph coming back from mabelthorpe. Finished the trip in the back of the old mans camping trailer

Some mates had Bantams - they used to put copper flywheel stuffers into the crank assy to increase crankcase pressure / power , but not fer very long the way they rode em' .....

We used to remove the Ram air sales gimmick from Suzy twins and Triples to assist cooling . The X7 did just fine ( fastest 250 ?) without it .

Returning from Skeggy on my CB72 , I once came across an Old Guy ( anyone older than 25 ) wearing a Trench Coat & Gauntlets riding an old & slow machine ?

Flat on the tank with feet on passenger footpegs I just managed to draw briefly alongside him , He gave me a smile & friendly wave as He accelerated away ( without changing down ) at what seemed like Warp Speed on His errrr old & slow - Vincent .

No substitute fer Cubes - as the Yanks say.

• 7 months later...
Hi,

My first bike was a BSA Bantam 125CC for the Post office I was a Telegram Boy Started in 1952,couldn't afford one of my own But working all day on one was

Great,i later bought a 1932 Sunbeam 500cc Hand gear change for£10.00 from a farm at grenoside,Happy days eh?

HI tELEGRAM BOY i WORKED AT THE GPO IN 1948/9 when we first had the Bantams we had to learn to ride by taking the bikes out to Rivelin in a big post offic e van and the after the lessons the instructor passed you for your licence. apart from the falling of in the wet weather by courtesy of the tram lines they were great days. P S has anyone got my 1950 BSA A7 LWJ 575

LEN PALMER

. P S has anyone got my 1950 BSA A7 LWJ 575

LEN PALMER

..I WISH I HAD IT IN MY SHED...:D,my first bike was a 200cc Single cyl Tiger Cub in 1965 bought from Grays...i now have a 1500cc six cylinder Honda...big difference...:cool::D

Archived