Motorbikes - Do you remember your first one?

Originally posted by WALLBUILDER

I don't really like the modern bikes they seem to be mostly 'nice and plastic', the older bikes were so much better looking.

Many modern bikers agree Wallbuilder. They do sell lots of so called "Retro" style bikes and many bikes come in 3 different forms of undress so that you can see the naked engine.

Most bike showrooms are filled with whizzy looking race replicas. And there are many bike magazines, reflecting popular sentiment, the complaint that there's not enough choice.

my first bike was a puch 50 moped canary yellow with chrome tank passed me test on that then a suzki 250 ram air system good for 100 mph my 3rd bike was a suzki 750 water cooled had a nasty accident on it and finished up in hallamshire hosi for 5 weeks 1 of em in a coma broken leg collar bone head injuries e.t.c went tro a farmers 5 bar gate near fox house at about 60 mph so that was the end of my wild days as a biker loved it tho in summer still got the bug to this day for bikes but i will stay in my tin box on wheels for now all the best steve

my first bike was a pink moped with lilac mudguards even the mods used to laugh at me so i drove it over a cliff ,and got a vincent black lightning 1000 cc .sheffield to manchester 15 min,plus i ,d stop for a fry up and two pots of tea on my vincent black lightning 1953...

My first bike was Triumph Tiger Cub, it didnt, have an engine. We would push it to the top of the hill on the fields at Hackenthorpe, all jump on it (3 to 4 of us) and freeweel to the bottom trying to avoid the large oak tree and crossing the narrow bridge and up the pavement till it stopped. Not always successful, still have scars on head to prove it. Loss of brain cells had obviuosly occured prior to this stunt.

Also had a BSA Bantam, never got it going so gave it away to some bloke.

Next came MOD phase so I got a Vespa with sidecar painted it Luminous pink and green (dont ask). Used to meet up with other Mods at the Post Office on Fitzallan Sqaure on a Sunday Morning and all shoot off to Castleton where we would get into scraps with the Rockers usualy led by Butlap and Eskimo.

Around the early 70's I bought a lambretta 150 from Armando (what a character) I spent many hours chatting with him around a little pot stove in his tiny workshop off London Road) last scooter was a GP200.

Some years later got a Honda CM200 motorbike, and currently ride a Virago. That,s thirty five years of biking still fall off on the odd occasion. But I would never be without one. pleasure riding only now though. dont want to tarnish the Chrome!!!

• 3 weeks later...

My early memories of motorcycling are sitting on the pillion of my father's CX 500 on the centrestand. He used to put red powerpaint into the exhausts so that when it fired up it blew red smoke everywhere. Very impressive if you're 6.

He then sold the CX and didn't ride anything for years until he bought one of those Indian Enfield things. A two wheeled endorsement to chiropractitioners. My word, it was unpleasant to be on the back of.

I still own my first road bike, a VFR 400R. It's amazing to think that these things are considered by a lot of people to be beginners bikes yet I can give most cars short of a Ferrari a run for its money away from the lights.

mine was a bsa bantam,but spent most of my time on the back of my mates bonny,the other lads had bsa rocket,enfield crusader sport,a matchless and norton domi,when we went to stavely where they lived the local lads had 650,s with tin baths attached to be legal while still displaying l plates.

we used to do matlock,castleton,skeggy most weekends but then girls started to appear and we drifted apart,havent seen some of them in almost 35 years

Originally posted by Unregistered

We used to laugh at those ''Jap Crap'' popcorn machines such as Yamaha, Honda and Suzuki when they first came over here.

They set out to destroy the British Bike industry.

They did - and we laugh no more.

Not sure they "set out to destroy the British Bike industry", I think they set out to be successful businesses.

The British bike industry committed suicide by failing to either innovate, or meet customers developing requirements.

Originally posted by foo_fighter

Not sure they "set out to destroy the British Bike industry", I think they set out to be successful businesses.

There was a big controversy at the time, about unofficial Japanese subsidies, and many people bought them solely on price in the early days - certainly not on quality.

However, their quality did improve rapidly during the late sixties.

Archived