The Rex Cinema

Wavey

• 1 month later...

the manager used to run a ticket raffle.you saved your ticket stub and he would draw one out and it would be shown on the screen.i won it watching dorris day with my mum and auntie dot,we got a free ticket each and an icecream for the following weeks show...commisionare on door.ex army used to curse at you,sneaked in through toilet window to watch x rated films ( soldier blue and straw dogs ) one and nine old pence to get in exept saturdats kids programme which was nine pence...further up was manor pictires where the irish lady would show you your seat then bash your head in with her torch ( rubber six battery ) if you messed about,wouldnt start saturdats kids matinee unless every one stood up for god save the queen.manager used to wear dinner suit and dickie bow.kiora and pop corn,say steve maqueen in BULLET,looked like le mans when it turned out at ten oclock

• 5 months later...

remember going to see the old film 'Phantom of the Opera '.

went with mates from school. we did not get there till about 8. 45pm. had to be home by 9. 00pm.!!!! so I got sat down and then had to come out and run all the way home. got home, sweating like a bull.

Fabulous thread... I spent loads of time there as a kid. Managed to wangle in to see Jaws even though I wasn't old enough... saw Pete's Dragon (how cool was that !!!).

I remember that the film didn't start until about an hour after it should cos there was always some crappy film about husky-dogs or sommat equally as boring.

I think memories of the Rex have been on before

Anyway---we lived on Audrey Road many moons ago and just after the war , aged about 5 or 6 , I went with my parents to see "Wizard of Oz".

Apparently there was a bit of criticism because the Wicked Witch in the film scared a lot of little kids.At least it toughened us up for Mrs. Thatcher.

• 4 months later...

I lived at Intake probabley the same many moons ago as Fareast and the Rex cinema was my local Picture House.

Used to go to the pictures about twice a wk for the grand cost of 10d in the front and !/6d in the back.

There was usually 2 films on and the news and a cartoon ie Pete Smith who did home improvments or Tom and Jerry.

I graduated from weekdays to saturday nights.

So from going as a youngster to being taken there later on by

a string of boyfriends I spent a lot of my youth in the Rex Cinema.

hazel

used to go every friday regardless of what was showing.

even climbed in thru the toilet window to see Enter The Dragon when it was released as an "X".

my nan worked there as an usherette for the last 4 years of the buildings existence.

unfortunately this type of cinema has spoilt the modern type for me.

how cool was the "b" movie featurette then an ice cream interval with adverts before the main feature started.

Archived