The Rex Cinema

Wavey

Oh boy...Kids club 1958/60. Lots of shouting and cheering. Cartoons,gun & sword fights (no one was killed) and sweets.

Then home for toast and dripping. I must come back and have a look around. Last time I was in Sheffield(Frechville) was 1977

• 1 year later...

The Rex wasn't such a bad place. It was a lot cleaner than some Sheffield surburban cinemas. One thing which infuriated me at The Rex was the pale blue light set around the screen. They hardly ever knew when to dim it down. The Rex was owned by Miss Dorothy Ward. Her father had it built in the twenties. It was one of the larger surburban 'pictures'.

• 3 weeks later...
The Rex wasn't such a bad place. It was a lot cleaner than some Sheffield surburban cinemas. One thing which infuriated me at The Rex was the pale blue light set around the screen. They hardly ever knew when to dim it down. The Rex was owned by Miss Dorothy Ward. Her father had it built in the twenties. It was one of the larger surburban 'pictures'.

I also think she owned the pictures at Killamarsh but not 100% sure

I also think she owned the pictures at Killamarsh but not 100% sure

I think you are right there. In fact I know you are, as at one time I was a projectionist, and we knew who was who in Sheffield. Miss Ward and her family owned both those cinemas. Miss Ward was the boss.

I took my 4 Kids and a couple of their friends around 1973. The youngest was a baby.Iwas a bit surprised when the usherette shone her torch on us during the film. I wondered what was the problem.The owner had sent her to refund some of the cost of the price I had paid She said we had paid too much!I thought that was a lovely gesture and very honest. I think we bought ice cream with the cash. It is something I"ve never forgotten. Yes, the cinema did close a few years later.I too remember the car park. We left the area in 1977.:love:

REX - the only place to cut your cinema going teeth !!! I too didn't sleep for weeks after seeing the X rated Exorcist at around 13 - I think. A pair of massive platforms from nat Elstons always did the trick.

Saw lots of great movies here for free - all the Bruce Lee films, love story etc.. etc.. we used to pay one person in - and they would then open the exit door near the toilets. the old dear in the ticket box used to try her best to catch us but aawwww... she just wasn't quick enough.

On reaching the age of approx 16 we then used to pop in to the Royal oak for a swift illegal half !!!!

Archived