New Rocknight/club Proposal

First we have to work out who "THE MANAGEMENT" are going to be, that is the people who are going to finance the whole project. I have capital funds available myself and am commited to co-financing an ongoing regular event at a host venue, or co-finance buying a lease to a club. This will have to be done properly of course. There is little point in a free for all meeting of all interested parties unless we know what can be "afforded"....its no good setting up just a "free" or "cheap" night.....these things just dont make any money for promoters, only the host venue will profit. Neitherare they successful in the long term for the operators as someone else (venue owners) will be making the money from it. There are so many free and cheap nights that have come and gone over the last 10 years in Sheffield this bears my point. To make a successful ongoing event you need to, at the very least, own the rights to the event (to put it one way), and have full control over it is another. This is something that is very difficult to negotiate with a host venue....been there, certain clubs out there will blind you with what sounds like a freebie all the way, which it may appear to be, until you work out how much money they have actually taken indirectly from you. It hurts...

So that I know the targets, anyone who would be willing to consider investment (what a scary word) in a joint venture please let me know ASAP. What will follow then is thorough research into the specified market as it currently stands and see what comes out as obvious....and it WILL be obvious! I still want to run a night-club, but its such an unpredictable market, as I am sure you are aware.

Just how much any one is prepared to invest in this as a business venture (which is is) is something we need to consider immediately. A lease for club is on the surface amazingly cheap, until you consider the 'hidden'costs of operation on a day to day basis. But it can be done...and it will be done.

Which nightclubs in Sheffield are currently empty?

For me it all depends on the amount of investment we're talking about, I for one don't have great amounts of money but if this proves to be a good investment then I will strongly consider anything.

DeeJ :D

Pm me with any info anyway mate.

Ooh, I remember a little website for the Friday Rocknight three years ago before I went to Sheffield uni. Would be good to have somewhere that's not overrun by underage kids (I'm assuming you're marketing to a higher class than Corp).

:D This post is purely intended on showing the other side of the story - you don't have to buy into a club to get what you want from it!! :D

"I think you may have some different ideas on what constitutes a 'rock night' to the rest of us... I believe we weren't intending on buying/ renting a club initially, more of offering an alternative evening for fans of alternative/rock music...

Originally posted by snowboarder

There is little point in a free for all meeting of all interested parties unless we know what can be "afforded"...

I disagree. I think it's important to get all the ideas down on paper first, and then work out what can be afforded from the list. It gives you clearer goal-setting and allows proposals to be sent to financial organisations.

...its no good setting up just a "free" or "cheap" night.....these things just dont make any money for promoters...

?Why run a free night? Using an existing venue doesn't mean you have to set up a 'free' night...

To make a successful ongoing event you need to, at the very least, own the rights to the event (to put it one way), and have full control over it is another. This is something that is very difficult to negotiate with a host venue...

I think you may have had an unusually bad experience on this one. If you are referring to setting up a night at an existing venue, without purchasing a premises, then I have a different experience... I managed to negotiate a fair 50/50 split of takings with the club I ran my old night at, without any difficulty or 'loss of control'. We set up as an independant promotion org paying 'rental' for use of the venue on a night they weren't running anything on. Went rather well for at least 6 months, but we then disbanded the night and the group due to moving away (to sheffield, on my part)." [/rant]

Having said all this I'm up for helping market, promote, plan and startegise your plans, but would not want to invest! I also dj thrash, metal, hardcore and classic rock music...

Originally posted by SilentStatic

Ooh, I remember a little website for the Friday Rocknight three years ago before I went to Sheffield uni. Would be good to have somewhere that's not overrun by underage kids (I'm assuming you're marketing to a higher class than Corp).

Wow, someone remembers THE FRIDAY ROCK NIGHT? It was rather shortlived owing to venues kicking us out....I agree, something a little more sophisticated than the Corp for want a better expression...or certainly something BETTER.

I am going down the CORP this Saturday night if anyone else is....what a great place for a beer and chat.....its my birthday and I will not be drinking lots of lager.......hmmmmm

Lots of ideas here which is good. You are right, perhaps I did have bad experiences with other venues. All I managed to find was greedy entertainments managers trying to fleece us.....its good to know not ALL clubs are the same....not wanting to use a Corporation tagline there it just came out...

I am at the CORP saturday night....come on down and we can laugh at the 12 year olds....

Archived