New Rocknight/club Proposal

MONDAY JULY 5th 8PM DEVONSHIRE CAT

Anyone wanting to PLAN a new rock night in Sheffield is welcome to join me at 8pm in the Devonshire CAT...that is anyone who wants to help run and promote it. Decided against leasing a club, its far too risky in the current market, so we need to discuss hiring an existing venue on a regular basis and creating something that will kick!! Also consider the poss of using an existing rock bar as a feeder...

Initial ideas will be a free for all approach so please bring some. As we get nearer to MONDAY July 5th need to have a rough idea of numbers....too many and no one will be able to make themselves heard...too few and probably not a lot will happen. There is no point in everyone bringing all their friends along unless they have an active interest and comitment in running the events.

So all those interested in planning, starting, running, promoting, even financing it, the above date, place and time is suggested.

At this stage if we can get some good plans together and a totally viable project with some chance of suceess I will finance the entire project and cover all costs, but it will be better if we form a co-operative and all assume collective responsibility.

Continue this thread with more thoughts.....

Hey again.

Can you put your finger on why the corp has no atmosphere?. I'm not agreeing, disagreeing or trying to be antagonistic. Simply trying to promote thought, if you know what the corp lacks then you know what you need to provide.

Why does the corp lack atmosphere and what would you do to give it atmosphere if you were in the position?. Probably not a good idea to say it out loud......the walls have ears :)).

Yes walls do have ears..HALLO CORPORATION!!!!! Doesnt matter, they will never change and havnt changed their approach in 8 years.....

My thoughts are really that is is such a faceless and impersonal venue, not at all intimate or cosy feeling, just a total shed! That is my main criticism (aside from crap DJs), atmosphere is an elusive something that is very diff to pin down specifically.

Have u been to SPIDERS in Hull? Now that has atmosphere, and despite being a dingy fleapit it has a real presence about it.

My other critiques would be the TERRIBLE classic rock room, which has totally failed to understand its audience. Hardly anyone was dancing, the music was just stuff from someones own personal music tastes, and not what I would call a floorfilling DJ set. Hence, bored looking punters....****** off looking people create a gloomy atmosphere....

Their was one room which was the former classic rock room which did not seem to have a clue what it was doing at all.....about 5 people in all night looking bored......

Think it used to better a year or so back....it just feels so complacent and bored with itself....they are making money and have really stopped caring as they no longer have to work for it...

So any new rock night:

a) HAS to be be totally different to what the Corp are doing

b) HAS to strive to create this elusive "atmosphere" or coolness within its marketing, decor, music policy, target audience etc

c) HAS to be fresh and exciting each time, and not fall into a very easy sliding slippery slope of same music every week with same playlists in the same order, or DJ's just playign what the hell they feel like..

comments...

I think that you have to be clear on who your market is. If its "Classic Rock" - then your crowd will be older and probably wont go out as much - but when they do go out - will probably spend a lot at the bar.

The reason that Corp shifted its emphasis to nu metal, and the average aged dropped by about twenty years, it cos thats quite literally what the kids want - and overall numbers went up as a result. I'm sure if Mutley thought there was money to be made in going all out for the classic rock crwod - he'd be well onto it.

Whatever you may think of Corp - Mutley knows his audience - now the audience may not be who you want to spend your sat nights with - and your doing something about that - so good luck - but i wouldnt be too dismissive of Corp (apart from the bogs...)

Saturday night? Not sure about that..........all needs to be gone into.

But you are right of course...although the average age at the Corp has always been about 12....even when it was DROP at the City hall in the mid 90's it was still young crowd......

My problem with the Corporation is -

a) The decor is crap. The place has no atmosphere because, as previously stated, its just a big shed. I agree that Spiders in Hull is much more intimate. It has lots of wrought iron partitions, pictures on the walls, alcoves with comfy seats to sit down and chat, dark corners etc. The Corporation in comparison is too "roomy" and empty. It has improved a little since it first moved to the unit, with the art on some of the walls, and the inclusion of a few seats downstairs. I'd like to see much more of this kind of thing though. It's nice to sit somewhere out of the way where you can talk and chill out for a while, and currently in the Corporation the only place to do this is in the corridors, which are filthy and don't have any seats. The old Corporation was better for this, as there were comfy sofa's and tables in the main corridor, the dark chill out room with comfy seats, a decent partitioned room with playstations and more seats etc.

b) Some of the previous crowd has probably been alienated. I totally understand that most of the money may lie with the younger crowd that have only ever known the Corps at the Unit, with the dancefloor emptying when older rock and metal is played. I don't think in some other venues this is a problem though, as both crowds are catered for. I feel that when I want to go and listen to some classic rock/metal in the Corporation that I am forced into going into one of the "gloomy", crappy rooms. Nobody wants to spend time in a club where the atmosphere is lacking (see above), and I think if the interior was updated and made to look more welcoming and less "boxy" and empty, some of the older crowd might be enticed back. The old Corporation had a really good room for Reservoir Rocks - really big dancefloor, nice lighting, seats, nice looking bar, big Diner nearby etc. These are lacking in the new Corp and I think it puts off some of the older crowd.

These are just a couple of my observations, and I would love to see a venue that takes some of this on board. Maybe its unrealistic, maybe not. For now, my favorite haunt is the Nelson in town.

Can't make the 5th July - got other commitments already... definitely in for whatever though, so keep me informed!! :cool:

It's not the 'nu-metal' that makes corp bad, it's the way they give the largest room in the building to the glam/cheese crowd on a saturday that gets my goat... all the good heavy stuff is in the tiny-dancefloored upstairs.

Much preferred the last venue, and feel the Djs aren't as creative as they should be. I'm sick of the whole 'Stop record/ Start new one' culture that pervades heavy rock club nights. I can mix rock records together - why can't they? Makes the whole evening more of an experience than just a drunken binge...

Originally posted by snowboarder

THE NELSON....must admit it was quite good last saturday, went downstairs where DJ Lez was on the decks....pretty cool....nice venue if a bit tiny

Is that Lez from Rebels - is he still around??

Originally posted by jake

Is that Lez from Rebels - is he still around??

Yes Lez from Rebels and the Classic Rock Bar. Used to work with him at the ROXY for a stint in 1996....must be one of SHeffields longest running rock DJ's aside from DJ Ken (wapentake, Boardwalk.

Archived