Characters of sheffield

asterix

On 19/12/2008 at 12:52, soft ayperth said:

There was a gay guy called Shirley in the 60s who used to go in a pub toward the bottom of the Moor. Forget the name of the pub. I seem to remember he used to serve behind the bar. If it's the one I'm thinking of he grew up on the Stradbroke Estate not far from where I lived.

The Travellers, He moved to the Red Lion, as I remember he wore glasses.

On 27/10/2006 at 15:40, asterix said:

When I was a young lad I worked at Freiderichs in the Wicker and I remember seeing a man who worked on the coal lorries and he was always black with the coal. He had his mouth open all the time looking up in the air. He wore wellingtons summer and winter. When he finished on the coal he used to walk his dog which was on a long rope. The rope was that long that the dog would be at the picture house and he would be at Freiderichs. Does anyone remember him?

My uncle owned Fredericks, he was called Harry Buddery a relative of the Fredericks family, they also had a shop in Firth Park, they made the best pork sausages from a German recipe, they also used to sell pork scraps before the were called pork scratching's.My grandad had the Brown Cow in the wicker, he also had a coal round in that area, maybe the guy you are talking about worked for him. he must have lived somewhere near Herdings park later as I used to see him walking the dog on a long lead near the park, he used to pretend to be yarning to cover his mouth.

On 27/10/2006 at 15:40, asterix said:

When I was a young lad I worked at Freiderichs in the Wicker and I remember seeing a man who worked on the coal lorries and he was always black with the coal. He had his mouth open all the time looking up in the air. He wore wellingtons summer and winter. When he finished on the coal he used to walk his dog which was on a long rope. The rope was that long that the dog would be at the picture house and he would be at Freiderichs. Does anyone remember him?

Yes, his name was Billy wainwright and he worked for the coalman called Mr. Ash(I think) on Sorby   Street. At one time, before he had the dog, he had an old bike with no breaks and he just put his foot on the front wheel to stop himself.

The Shirley and Doreen I remember in 60s ,went round pubs that had groups on and some in town  Shirley was blonde and worked at pit . Doreen had dark hair  wore glasses bus driver l remember the guy who worked in travelers  down moor .he also worked in red lion back off city hall  . The last place I saw him working was bankers draft .  I was on bus coming back from blue bell hackenthorpe a bully picked on Doreen , but came unstuck . 

2 hours ago, Slinny said:

The Shirley and Doreen I remember in 60s ,went round pubs that had groups on and some in town  Shirley was blonde and worked at pit . Doreen had dark hair  wore glasses bus driver l remember the guy whim ho worked in travelers  down moor .he also worked in red lion back off city hall  . The last place I saw him working was bankers draft .  I was on bus coming back from blue bell hackenthorpe a bully picked on Doreen , but came unstuck . 

Do you remember Honk who drank in the Lion on Holly Street G, He was a ex gaurdsman around 6ft 3 inches tall , At one time he carried a gun ( no idea if it was a dummy or not ) .

Any way the gays worked in the Lion at that time and Honk gave em hell , calling them pufters and so on .

So the Landlord barred him .

One Friday night as I was going into the pub I spied Honk sat    on the middle stairs out of sight , He shouted "na then Cuttsie get me a pint will tha and bring it out here " I did , but some one tipped of the bar laddyies ? and Doreen followed me out and saw me give Honk the pint .

"Thats thee barred anall " he screemed in his best high pitched ear bender .

So it took weeks before I got the nod to go in the pub again but apparantly Honk just kept on sitting on the stairs and getting any one he could to get him a drink .

Guest makapaka

There are some brilliant photos on this site that have some of the Sheffield characters on.

https://www.robertblomfield.co.uk/

I believe one of them is the lady with the fruit and veg barrow on Dixon lane and another fella selling crockery I believe was well known. 

before my time but great photos.

1 hour ago, makapaka said:

There are some brilliant photos on this site that have some of the Sheffield characters on.

I believe one of them is the lady with the fruit and veg barrow on Dixon lane and another fella selling crockery I believe was well known. 

Some great photos there makapaka.

Takes me down memory (Dixon) lane to the old 'Rag and Tag' market.

The old lady with the marvellous weighing machine ( wonder what happened to that?) and the crockery stall where the chap almost juggled with the cups, saucers and plates whilst bellowing his spiel to attract customers.

And Granelli's ice cream, second only to Taggies!

It's a pity there isn't a picture of the pet stall; an instant attraction to children of the '40s and'50s like me.

Thanks,

echo

9 hours ago, makapaka said:

The lady selling veg on Dixon Lane was big Ada and the pottery man was called Potty Edwards.