Tony Capstick

Guest Guest

Originally posted by Toby

And untrue. Such is life.

Well the station manager was quoted as acknowledging the fact that she was not notified. If it is not true perhaps he should get the Star to retract the article.

I agree totally with riddo7up's comments.

When I first heard that BBC Radio Sheffield had dropped Tony Capstick I did an internet search on Tony Capstick and got lots of matches to BBC web site pages, but none of them would resolve. Someone at the BBC had deliberately removed all the web site content relating to Tony except for the press release about him being dropped. I thought this was rather an odd thing to do.

Since he was dropped and his subsequent death there has been a lot of press and internet comment about the poor way he was treated by Radio Sheffield. I find it very hard to believe that people would make this sort of thing up. I always thought him a brilliant broadcaster (although I was unable to listen to him after they moved his program to the morning). It is sad that after working for Radio Sheffield for 30 years that they were unable to part on good terms.

Originally posted by Mo

Well the station manager was quoted as acknowledging the fact that she was not notified. If it is not true perhaps he should get the Star to retract the article.

I agree totally with riddo7up's comments.

The station manager was not quoted - in fact almost everything the Star said was wrong.

Interesting obit in the Daily Telegraph, shedding new light on what happened last January:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=%2Fnews%2F2003%2F10%2F29%2Fdb2902.xml

Originally posted by arsenallad

The station manager was not quoted - in fact almost everything the Star said was wrong.

Interesting obit in the Daily Telegraph, shedding new light on what happened last January:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=%2Fnews%2F2003%2F10%2F29%2Fdb2902.xml

How do you know that almost everthing that was said was wrong? Are you an insider from Radio Sheffield or something?

I have no reason to disbelieve Gill when she says that Gary Keown phoned her after the event saying that somebody from the production team should have contacted her in advance of the programme, so why should you have. If he didn't then he should say so.

I read the obituary in the Daily Telegraph when it was originally published and it was probably written by some southerner who knew sod all about Tony and the work he did. No mention about the person we all new and loved and all his charity work. No mention about the real man. All they could focus on was the drink and belittling his musical talents. They had obviously never sat and listened to an evening of his wit, humour, intellect and wonderful singing voice. The most genuine obituary written was by his fellow presenter Rony Robinson in the Sheffield Telegraph.

Originally posted by Mo

..I have no reason to disbelieve Gill when she says that Gary Keown phoned her after the event saying that somebody from the production team should have contacted her in advance of the programme.....

I think you'll find Gill didn't say that. It isn't even what was in the Star. It's a shame when misquotes and lies get recycled like this as though they are fact. Particularly when we are talking about the excellent Tony Capstick and 30 odd years of great programmes.

Originally posted by Mo

The most genuine obituary written was by his fellow presenter Rony Robinson in the Sheffield Telegraph.

Agreed.

• 4 weeks later...
Originally posted by Mo

I read the obituary in the Daily Telegraph when it was originally published and it was probably written by some southerner who knew sod all about Tony and the work he did.

I just reread it, and it looks pretty fair and blanced to me. The man was a flawed diamond - like so many.

Archived