50's Owl - Broadbent Dies

CHAIRBOY

Sorry to learn of the death, at 72, of former Sheffield Wednesday player Albert Broadbent. West Brom-born, Broadbent, joined the Owls in the summer of 1955 and played a prominent part in the old Div 2 side of 55-56 in which Wednesday finished champions. Albert missed just one game that season and scored 12 goals in 41 appearances. One of my favourites that I witnessed was a free-kick he smashed in at Bury in the final away game of the season when the Owls triumphed 5-2. After a year in the top-flight he then moved on to Rotherham.

The service is at 1.15pm on Oct 31 at City Road Crematorium with no wearing of black requested.

Although he played before my time (honest) he is still fondly remembered by older Wednesdayites, and to prove to it I got my wife to ring her Father and just say "Albert Broadbent has died" and immediately he said, "he was a goodun for Wednesday" RIP Albert.

knowing albert for about 40 years i didnt know until about ten years ago he played for wednesday!!:)

That's probably so typical of the man and of that generation of players. I didn't know Albert but I guessed playing professional football at what was a fairly feudal time meant more than playing for the money.

Playing 41 out of 42 games in a season is a dream for a manager - nothing beats a settled side - and that Division 2 (comparable with today's Championship) contained Liverpool, Blackburn and West Ham - and the Owls were Champions, scoring 101 goals!

Without being a world-beater, Albert was a valued member of that team and had a wonderful left 'peg'. His characteristic was that he ran with arms out-stretched in a coat-hanger fashion and he certainly did his bit at Hillsborough playing alongside the likes of Quixall, Froggatt, Shiner and Finney.

Sadly, only Tom McAnearney, Finney,Quixall and O'Donnell remain from the aforementioned team that played at Bury in April of '56. The final game of that season was at home to Lincoln when the Owls bagged five more.

Albert Broadbent was a member of a championship-winning side at Hillsborough, that claim is becoming more and more cherished.

• 2 weeks later...

Albert Broadbent is my grandad, its nice to see people remembering him:)

Their as been alot of pieces about him in the papers and in the programs. Me and my family are very prod of him.

Doncaster rovers and Rotherham United had a minutes silence and the write ups in the program were great.

My grandads funeral was on Tuesday 31st October and it was a really nice service. Sad, but nice to see old faces and how many people came to say goodbye.

• 11 months later...
Sorry to learn of the death, at 72, of former Sheffield Wednesday player Albert Broadbent. West Brom-born, Broadbent, joined the Owls in the summer of 1955 and played a prominent part in the old Div 2 side of 55-56 in which Wednesday finished champions. Albert missed just one game that season and scored 12 goals in 41 appearances. One of my favourites that I witnessed was a free-kick he smashed in at Bury in the final away game of the season when the Owls triumphed 5-2. After a year in the top-flight he then moved on to Rotherham.

The service is at 1.15pm on Oct 31 at City Road Crematorium with no wearing of black requested.

i rememer albert i always he could kick a ball harder than bobby

charlton

• 8 months later...

I have been out of the country for a long while now and have just read your thread about Albert Broadbent. After I finished playing I had the honour of playing regularly for Derek's team in charity matches. Albert, along with Gerry Young, Keith Bannister, Jim McAnearney, John Quinn, Brian Arblaster, Les Moore, Terry Whitham,even Albert Quixall once turned out. I have never seen anyone as enthusiastic to the game as Albert Broadbent. I am very saddened to hear he is no longer with us. I remember travelling to Luton to play a charity match which Eric Morcambekicked off. E

I have been out of the country for a long while now and have just read your thread about Albert Broadbent. After I finished playing I had the honour of playing regularly for Derek's team in charity matches. Albert, along with Gerry Young, Keith Bannister, Jim McAnearney, John Quinn, Brian Arblaster, Les Moore, Terry Whitham,even Albert Quixall once turned out. I have never seen anyone as enthusiastic to the game as Albert Broadbent. I am very saddened to hear he is no longer with us. I remember travelling to Luton to play a charity match which Eric Morcambe kicked off. Eric Picked on Albert in the dressing room before the match and had all of us in stitches including Albert who was stood there without a stitch on throughout. Good times.

I have been out of the country for a long while now and have just read your thread about Albert Broadbent. After I finished playing I had the honour of playing regularly for Derek's team in charity matches. Albert, along with Gerry Young, Keith Bannister, Jim McAnearney, John Quinn, Brian Arblaster, Les Moore, Terry Whitham,even Albert Quixall once turned out. I have never seen anyone as enthusiastic to the game as Albert Broadbent. I am very saddened to hear he is no longer with us. I remember travelling to Luton to play a charity match which Eric Morcambe kicked off. Eric Picked on Albert in the dressing room before the match and had all of us in stitches including Albert who was stood there without a stitch on throughout. Good times.

Gerry Young was lodged on Warner Rd when he first came to Sheffield,I lived there also,he wasa great guy.Johnny Quinn was doing his national service around that time,I was in the RAF and we traveled back to camp on the 1.07am Sunday train.He got off at Catterick and I at Darlington.

Bit different for pro footballers then.Catterick Army had a football team of mainly pro footballers doing their NS.

Archived