Anyone been to Malta recently?

where abouts you going - its great - given a choice I'd holiday there every year the kids like spain (pukes)

nice people, great range of activities and as its only a small island you can explore the whole place quickly and easily - good public transport links on the island plus gozo too next door a short ferry ride away.

The weather will be fairly warm in May - I'd avoid August and September as it gets too hot.

fully recommend it...

I have been a few times and quite liked it. However, it does seem to have got a little run down over the years.

There is no problem with louts though which is good. If your going to hire a car drive carefully as the roads are shocking and the majority of drivers are crazy.

Went to Valetta last March - totally gobsmacked!

The Grand Harbour is the most impressive sight I have ever seen. Several warships berthed there just looked like model boats.

Going to go again this year but think we will go to Sliema, bit livlier than Valetta but easy access to there.

Originally posted by Cycleracer

Trying to find somewhere close to a beach if poss but heard theres not many sandy beaches there.

What about kids, anything there for them, I'm thinking of Malta or Tunisia.

The beaches are all in the north Mellehia I think is the main one,

I am thinking about going in march.I have not been for some 15 years I always liked Buggiba, don't know for kids.Been to Tunisia, away from the hotels it was scruffy that was 10 yrs ago.

Mellehia Bay is very nice. I've stopped in Bugibba before and thought is was ok. Those little gift shops have always annoyed me, they all sell the same junk and nobody ever undercuts anyone. You trail round trying to find something cheaper and it's the same price no matter where you go. :D

We've been to Malta twice. Valetta is really nice. Bugbba Holiday Complex is a good place to stay. It has entertainment round the pool every night and plenty of activities for kids. If you go try and go to a Festa. They are held every weekend from May to October and celebrate local saints days. Best firework displays I've ever seen. The shops are a bit expensive but take a ferry to Gozo you can get some good bargains. Local buses will take you all over the island and are very cheap.

I stopped at the Bugibba Holiday complex about 6 years ago. It was ok, there was a few cockroaches in our first room but a complaint got us moved to another room and we didn't have any more trouble after that. In addition to the pool activity there was also some entertainment in the bar as well. Bugibba is quite lively if you go down to the square and it's quite central too.